This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5749 / 51°34'29"N
Longitude: -3.2601 / 3°15'36"W
OS Eastings: 312772
OS Northings: 186982
OS Grid: ST127869
Mapcode National: GBR HT.CYHG
Mapcode Global: VH6DS.FPW0
Entry Name: Monument to William Williams ('Caledfryn')
Listing Date: 25 May 1999
Last Amended: 25 May 1999
Source ID: 21734
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Located in the burial ground, to the SW of the chapel.
Community: Penyrheol, Trecenydd and Energlyn (Pen-yr-heol, Trecenydd ac Eneu'r-glyn)
Community: Penyrheol, Trecenydd and Energlyn
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Groeswen, built in 1742, was the first Calvinistic Methodist Chapel in Wales. The burial ground was acquired in the period 1798-1801, and was extended E in 1865. It is known as the 'Westminster of Wales' because of the fine collection of displayful monuments to ministers, benefactors of the chapel, and local bards.
William 'Caledfryn' Williams (1801-1869) was minister of Groeswen from 1856 until his death. Born at Bryn y Fynnon, Denbigh, he was born into a family of weavers before becoming a minister in the Methodist and Congregational churches, and travelling widely. A charismatic figure, he was best known as an eisteddfod adjudicator, and wrote books on poetry and Welsh grammar. He supported liberal political causes, such as the Peace Society, and was a keen educationalist, setting up the British School at Groeswen in 1866. His burial was attended by 1,000 mourners and 60 ministers, whilst the Cardiff Times recorded him as 'One of the most remarkable Welshmen of his age'. His autobiography was published in 1877. The memorial was made in 1870-1 by A H James, of Newport.
A short obelisk in polished red Peterhead granite. On a tall, stepped plinth with buttresses to the sides, and surmounted by a pyramidal, corbelled cap stone. Set into the front face of the obelisk is a bronze bust in relief. The inscribed memorial on the base simply reads CALEDFRYN. An inscription on the side commemorates Mary Williams (1838-1919).
Listed as an unusual monument to a charismatic figure in Welsh culture, and a minister at Groeswen.
Group value with Groeswen chapel and other listed monuments in the burial ground.
Other nearby listed buildings