This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5749 / 51°34'29"N
Longitude: -3.2598 / 3°15'35"W
OS Eastings: 312791
OS Northings: 186975
OS Grid: ST127869
Mapcode National: GBR HT.D4R1
Mapcode Global: VH6DS.GP02
Entry Name: Monument to Thomas James Thomas and others
Listing Date: 25 May 1999
Last Amended: 25 May 1999
Source ID: 21736
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Located in the burial ground, close to the SW angle of the chapel.
Community: Penyrheol, Trecenydd and Energlyn (Pen-yr-heol, Trecenydd ac Eneu'r-glyn)
Community: Penyrheol, Trecenydd and Energlyn
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Groeswen, built in 1742, was the first Calvinistic Methodist Chapel in Wales. The burial ground was acquired in the period 1798-1801, and was extended E in 1865. It is known as the 'Westminster of Wales' because of the fine collection of displayful monuments to ministers, benefactors of the chapel, and local bards.
The large, central monument is to Thomas James Thomas of Brynawel, Ynyshir, a coalmaster who died on 31st May, 1885. Commemorated with him is Rachel Thomas (d. 1912). The monument to the L is dedicated to William John (d. 1878), while that to the R is to Thomas Isaac (d. 1880).
Triple-stem tomb set within balustrading, all in white granite. On a coursed masonry plinth including the entrance to a vault. The central stem is higher, and consists of a tall square base with trefoil-headed blind arches supported on colonnettes with decorative capitals. Surmounted by a high cornice with a moulded round arch to each face, and urns rising from the angles. Above is a draped urn with wreath, set diagonally on a pedestal with festoons.
The flanking stems are in a plainer style: a square base with inscribed ogee arch to each face, with low-relief foliage to the spandrels, surmounted by a deep moulded cornice. Above is a short obelisk bearing a wreath and supporting a plain urn. The balustrading has large shaped posts at the angles, and in the centre of the front and rear sides. The inscriptions are on the front face of each base.
Listed as a particularly fine funerary monument, unusually displayful in a non-conformist context.
Group value with Groeswen Chapel and other listed monuments in the burial ground.
Other nearby listed buildings