This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5749 / 51°34'29"N
Longitude: -3.2597 / 3°15'35"W
OS Eastings: 312797
OS Northings: 186976
OS Grid: ST127869
Mapcode National: GBR HT.D4R1
Mapcode Global: VH6DS.GP21
Entry Name: Thomas family monument
Listing Date: 25 May 1999
Last Amended: 25 May 1999
Source ID: 21737
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Located in the burial ground on the S side of the chapel.
Community: Penyrheol, Trecenydd and Energlyn (Pen-yr-heol, Trecenydd ac Eneu'r-glyn)
Community: Penyrheol, Trecenydd and Energlyn
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Groeswen, built in 1742, was the first Calvinistic Methodist Chapel in Wales. The burial ground was acquired in the period 1798-1801, and was extended E in 1865. It is known as the 'Westminster of Wales' because of the fine collection of displayful monuments to ministers, benefactors of the chapel, and local bards.
Edward Thomas of Aber Fawr died in 1912. He and his family were benefactors of the chapel and are said to have provided many of the internal fittings when it was rebuilt c1874.
A pair of masonry chest tombs on a single, large, coursed masonry plinth. Vault beneath with entrance to W. The chests have angle pilasters with recessed panels bearing inverted torches in relief. The faces of the tombs are inset, and contain white marble tablets with inscriptions. Moulded cap stones with shallow coping, each supporting a decorative casket. The N tomb is open at the E end.
Listed as a pair of fine, prominent chest tombs, commemorating benefactors of the chapel.
Group value with Groeswen Chapel and other listed monuments in the burial ground.
Other nearby listed buildings