This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.575 / 51°34'30"N
Longitude: -3.2604 / 3°15'37"W
OS Eastings: 312754
OS Northings: 186991
OS Grid: ST127869
Mapcode National: GBR HT.CYDV
Mapcode Global: VH6DS.FNRY
Entry Name: Monument to Evan Jones ('Ieuan Gwynedd')
Listing Date: 25 May 1999
Last Amended: 25 May 1999
Source ID: 21735
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Located at the W end of the burial ground.
Community: Penyrheol, Trecenydd and Energlyn (Pen-yr-heol, Trecenydd ac Eneu'r-glyn)
Community: Penyrheol, Trecenydd and Energlyn
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Groeswen, built in 1742, was the first Calvinistic Methodist Chapel in Wales. The burial ground was acquired in the period 1798-1801, and was extended E in 1865. It is known as the 'Westminster of Wales' because of the fine collection of displayful monuments to ministers, benefactors of the chapel, and local bards.
Evan Jones ('Ieuan Gwynedd'), was born in Dolgelly in 1820. He became minister of Sardis Chapel, Tredegar in 1845, but is chiefly remembered as a journalist, writing essays and editing radical periodicals. In particular, he defended non-conformism against the Established Church and the Education Commissioners. He suffered ill health for several years and died in 1852 at the age of 32.
Masonry obelisk in neo-classical style. Set on a moulded plinth. A tall, square-section, tapering base, with recessed panels and a lotus and palmette frieze, is surmounted by a pronounced moulded cornice, from which the obelisk rises. The front bears an inscription to the Rev. Evan Jones.
Listed as an unusual neo-classical monument to a prominent Welsh journalist and pioneer of non-conformism.
Group value with Groeswen Chapel and other listed monuments in the burial ground.
Other nearby listed buildings