This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.6106 / 51°36'38"N
Longitude: -3.2317 / 3°13'53"W
OS Eastings: 314809
OS Northings: 190920
OS Grid: ST148909
Mapcode National: GBR HV.9RV4
Mapcode Global: VH6DL.XSX4
Entry Name: Former Llanbradach Colliery winding engine house
Listing Date: 23 July 1999
Last Amended: 23 July 1999
Source ID: 22096
Building Class: Industrial
Location: Llanbradach Colliery is on the steep hillside to the W of the village. The winding house is sited on the upper level of the colliery to the S of the reservoir and engine hall and immediately W of Col
Community: Llanbradach and Pwllypant (Llanbradach a Phwll-y-pant)
Community: Llanbradach and Pwllypant
Locality: Llanbradach Colliery
Built-Up Area: Llanbradach
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Llanbradach Colliery was opened in 1894 by Cardiff Steam Coal Collieries Ltd. Although one of the smaller coal companies, it became one of the largest collieries in South Wales, employing 3000 colliers at its peak in 1913. It continued in operation after nationalisation but was closed in 1961. Ordnance Survey maps suggest 2 main phases of development, the extant structures mostly belonging to the second phase, of the early C20, when most of the original buildings appear to have been replaced. Most of the colliery buildings have survived and have been in use for a variety of light industrial purposes. They form an unusually complete and impressive colliery complex prominently sited overlooking the Rhymney Valley.
The winding house is first shown on the 1915 Ordnance Survey, when it had a structure attached on its SE side, and replaced an earlier winding house on the site.
A tall gabled structure built into the hillside and oriented to the former shaft below to the E. Of coursed rock-faced sandstone and replaced tile roof behind coped gables. The downhill (E) gable end, facing the former shaft, has a tall blocked opening designed for the winding cables, under a keyed segmental arch and flanked by buttresses, with inserted windows to the L and R. In the S wall is an added lean-to to the R, to the L of which are 3 segmental-headed windows in the upper storey with original iron-frame glazing to centre and R. Similar ground-floor openings have now been altered by insertion of doorways, but an original doorway at the L end has replaced double doors. The 4-window N wall has similar openings to the S, some of which are blocked. The uphill (W) gable end has a Diocletian window part cut through to make a doorway from road level to the upper storey. Beneath it is an added projection.
The interior has been subdivided into workshops and offices.
Listed as a large and well-constructed winding engine house and for group value with other associated items at Llanbradach Colliery.
Other nearby listed buildings