This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.6105 / 51°36'37"N
Longitude: -3.2312 / 3°13'52"W
OS Eastings: 314844
OS Northings: 190908
OS Grid: ST148909
Mapcode National: GBR HV.9RZL
Mapcode Global: VH6DL.YS57
Entry Name: Former Llanbradach Colliery upper revetment wall
Listing Date: 23 July 1999
Last Amended: 23 July 1999
Source ID: 22097
Location: Llanbradach Colliery is on the steep hillside to the W of the village. The upper revetment wall is sited at the middle level of the colliery complex below the engine hall and winding house.
Community: Llanbradach and Pwllypant (Llanbradach a Phwll-y-pant)
Community: Llanbradach and Pwllypant
Locality: Llanbradach Colliery
Built-Up Area: Llanbradach
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Llanbradach Colliery was opened in 1894 by Cardiff Steam Coal Collieries Ltd. Although one of the smaller coal companies, it became one of the largest collieries in South Wales, employing 3000 colliers at its peak in 1913. It continued in operation after nationalisation but was closed in 1961. Ordnance Survey maps suggest 2 main phases of development, the extant structures mostly belonging to the second phase, of the early C20, when most of the original buildings appear to have been replaced. Most of the colliery buildings have survived and have been in use for a variety of light industrial purposes. They form an unusually complete and impressive colliery complex prominently sited overlooking the Rhymney Valley.
The wall was part of the second phase of development of the colliery, first shown on the 1915 Ordnance Survey, and faced the colliery yard to the E with its 2 shafts.
A long and tall revetment oriented N-S and continuing from the engineering shop to beyond the fan house. The wall is constructed of snecked, rock-faced sandstone with an irregular top and most of its coping missing. Facing the former yard is a segmental headed doorway at high level with steps leading up to the engine hall. To its L is an opening in the top of the wall defining the position of the winding cables from the engine hall to the shaft. Opposite the engineering shops is a round-headed opening to a vaulted chamber. A similar vaulted chamber, reached through a narrower segmental-headed doorway, is opposite the fan house. Girders link the wall to the fan house and to the engineering shops, while brackets project at high level from the wall in several places.
Listed for group value with other associated items at Llanbradach Colliery.
Other nearby listed buildings