This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.6111 / 51°36'40"N
Longitude: -3.2304 / 3°13'49"W
OS Eastings: 314894
OS Northings: 190973
OS Grid: ST148909
Mapcode National: GBR HW.9L54
Mapcode Global: VH6DL.YRKS
Entry Name: Former Llanbradach Colliery engineering shops
Listing Date: 23 July 1999
Last Amended: 23 July 1999
Source ID: 22098
Building Class: Industrial
Location: Llanbradach Colliery is on the steep hillside to the W of the village. The engineering shops are sited on the E side of the engine hall, at a lower level, and N of the yard and fan house.
Community: Llanbradach and Pwllypant (Llanbradach a Phwll-y-pant)
Community: Llanbradach and Pwllypant
Locality: Llanbradach Colliery
Built-Up Area: Llanbradach
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Llanbradach Colliery was opened in 1894 by Cardiff Steam Coal Collieries Ltd. Although one of the smaller coal companies, it became one of the largest collieries in South Wales, employing 3000 colliers at its peak in 1913. It continued in operation after nationalisation but was closed in 1961. Ordnance Survey maps suggest 2 main phases of development, the extant structures mostly belonging to the second phase, of the early C20, when most of the original buildings appear to have been replaced. Most of the colliery buildings have survived and have been in use for a variety of light industrial purposes. They form an unusually complete and impressive colliery complex prominently sited overlooking the Rhymney Valley.
The engineering shops are first shown on the 1915 Ordnance Survey, having replaced an earlier building on the site shown in 1898, and stood to the N of the shafts. The building comprised fitting shop, blacksmith's and carpenter's shops and was served by narrow-gauge railways.
Consisting of 3 parallel gabled ranges oriented N-S. Of rubble stone with rock-faced dressings and with corrugated iron roofs. The S end, facing the yard and the former shafts, has 3 symmetrical gables with centrally-placed round-headed doorways flanked by tall round-headed windows (all windows blocked with some windows inserted into the blockings) and with round ventilators above, retaining some original louvres. The side walls are 6-bay with round-headed windows. On the E side the windows are partly blocked but retain iron-frame radial glazing. On the W side they are blocked. On the W side is a passage spanned by girders attached to the upper revetment wall. The rear elevation has round-headed windows, 3 to each range.
Traces of the narrow-gauge railway survive in the floor of the W range. The ranges are separated internally by rubble-stone partition walls. The roofs have wrought iron trusses similar to the engine hall.
Listed as a well-preserved and integral component of Llanbradach Colliery, and for group value with other associated listed items.
Other nearby listed buildings