This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.6101 / 51°36'36"N
Longitude: -3.2313 / 3°13'52"W
OS Eastings: 314830
OS Northings: 190860
OS Grid: ST148908
Mapcode National: GBR HV.9ZW3
Mapcode Global: VH6DL.YS2K
Entry Name: Former Llanbradach Colliery fan house
Listing Date: 23 July 1999
Last Amended: 23 July 1999
Source ID: 22103
Building Class: Industrial
Location: Llanbradach Colliery is on the steep hillside to the W of the village. The fan house is sited on the middle level of the colliery, S of the yard and engineering shops.
Community: Llanbradach and Pwllypant (Llanbradach a Phwll-y-pant)
Community: Llanbradach and Pwllypant
Locality: Llanbradach Colliery
Built-Up Area: Llanbradach
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Llanbradach Colliery was opened in 1894 by Cardiff Steam Coal Collieries Ltd. Although one of the smaller coal companies, it became one of the largest collieries in South Wales, employing 3000 colliers at its peak in 1913. It continued in operation after nationalisation but was closed in 1961. Ordnance Survey maps suggest 2 main phases of development, the extant structures mostly belonging to the second phase, of the early C20, when most of the original buildings appear to have been replaced. Most of the colliery buildings have survived and have been in use for a variety of light industrial purposes. They form an unusually complete and impressive colliery complex prominently sited overlooking the Rhymney Valley.
The fan house, built between 1898 and 1915 and belonging to the second phase of development at the colliery, was built for two fans and electric motors to drive them, replacing the original single steam-powered fan. The No 1 fan on the N side was originally a Guibal fan but was replaced by a Sirocco fan. The No 2 fan at the S end was a Walker Indestructible.
A long building now roofless, of snecked rock-faced sandstone. The central engine hall housed the electric motors powering the fans, with fan chambers and evasees at either end. It is now roofless. The W side is 7 bays, the bay at S end set back and mostly demolished, but otherwise with round-headed windows in 2 groups of 3. On the S side is a concrete projection of the No 2 fan casing, above which is a castellated evasee. On the N side is another evasee, dating from the conversion to a Sirocco fan, and external stairs to a round-headed doorway. On the E side is a brick arch connected to the fan drift.
Not inspected (November 1998), but said to retain internal divisions for the fan chambers with openings for drives. Engine beds for the fan engines are visible. In the engine hall is a glazed tile dado and decorative plasterwork to the walls, and a spark-retardant floor surface.
Included as a rare example of a surviving fan house and for group value with other associated items at Llanbradach Colliery.
Other nearby listed buildings