This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.6099 / 51°36'35"N
Longitude: -3.2312 / 3°13'52"W
OS Eastings: 314842
OS Northings: 190839
OS Grid: ST148908
Mapcode National: GBR HV.9ZYR
Mapcode Global: VH6DL.YS5P
Entry Name: Former Llandbradach Colliery workshops range
Listing Date: 23 July 1999
Last Amended: 23 July 1999
Source ID: 22100
Building Class: Industrial
Location: Llanbradach Colliery is on the steep hillside to the W of the village. The former workshops are sited at the lower level of the site, E of the fan house.
Community: Llanbradach and Pwllypant (Llanbradach a Phwll-y-pant)
Community: Llanbradach and Pwllypant
Locality: Llanbradach Colliery
Built-Up Area: Llanbradach
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Llanbradach Colliery was opened in 1894 by Cardiff Steam Coal Collieries Ltd. Although one of the smaller coal companies, it became one of the largest collieries in South Wales, employing 3000 colliers at its peak in 1913. It continued in operation after nationalisation but was closed in 1961. Ordnance Survey maps suggest 2 main phases of development, the extant structures mostly belonging to the second phase, of the early C20, when most of the original buildings appear to have been replaced. Most of the colliery buildings have survived and have been in use for a variety of light industrial purposes. They form an unusually complete and impressive colliery complex prominently sited overlooking the Rhymney Valley.
The N range of the workshops are first shown in 1915 Ordnance Survey while the remaining 2 ranges are shown on the 1929 revision.
Consisting of 3 gabled ranges connected end-to-end by short links. The range at the N end is larger and higher and is the earliest. It is 11x3 bays, of rock-faced, snecked sandstone with coped gables and corrugated iron roof. The windows are segmental headed and have iron-frame glazing with blockwork infill behind. In the W side wall a wide doorway is cut in to the 2 northernmost bays and a loading bay is cut into the central bay. At the S end are 3 small basement windows. (A 2-span projection is added to the N end.)
The middle range is rubble stone with brick dressings and corrugated metal roof. It has, on the W side, a wide doorway cut into the N end and an added lean-to. In its 6-bay E wall are segmental-headed windows with iron-frame glazing. The S range is offset to E side of the middle range, is also of rubble stone with corrugated metal roof, of 8x3 bays with openings under brick segmental heads, and has a raised platform around it. In the E wall one window is converted to a doorway. In the W wall a wide doorway is inserted into the 2 bays at the S end, while the other windows are blocked. In the S gable end are also blocked windows, the window to L cut down to ground level.
The N range only was inspected and has wrought iron roof trusses similar to the engine hall and engineering shops.
Included as an integral component of the Llanbradach Colliery complex, and for group value with other associated items.
Other nearby listed buildings