History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Clyne Lodge

A Grade II Listed Building in Mumbles (Y Mwmbwls), Swansea

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5962 / 51°35'46"N

Longitude: -3.9978 / 3°59'52"W

OS Eastings: 261716

OS Northings: 190488

OS Grid: SS617904

Mapcode National: GBR GX.D9LB

Mapcode Global: VH4KG.N4CN

Entry Name: Clyne Lodge

Listing Date: 29 October 1999

Last Amended: 29 October 1999

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 22560

Building Class: Domestic

Location: At the E entrance to Clyne Gardens, approximately 0.35km SE of Clyne Castle.

County: Swansea

Town: Swansea

Community: Mumbles (Y Mwmbwls)

Community: Mumbles

Locality: Clyne Castle

Built-Up Area: Swansea

Traditional County: Glamorgan

Find accommodation in
Oystermouth

History

Clyne Castle was owned by the Vivian family, one of the most prominent of the Swansea industrial families, between 1860 and 1952. The first occupant, William Graham Vivian, focused his attentions on alterations to the house, and made a new entrance drive on the S side. Clyne Lodge was built at the entrance to the drive and its design is said to be the reverse of a published drawing by P F Robinson (1776-1858), who had been employed by the Vivian family at Singleton Abbey.
Admiral Algernon Walker-Heneage-Vivian, who lived in the house between 1921 and 1952, extended the pleasure grounds in front of the house, where there are 3 National Collections of Rhododendrons and National Collections of Enkianthus and Pieris. After his death in 1952 the house and grounds, including Clyne Lodge, were sold to the Borough of Swansea, which opened the former pleasure grounds in 1954 as a pubic park, now known as Clyne Gardens.

Exterior

Cottage orne of one and a half storeys, consisting of a main gabled range with porch and a wing set back on the R side. Of rock-faced snecked stone, fret-cut barge boards with pendant finials, and a replaced pantile roof with diagonally-set stone ridge stack on the main range. The gabled front has a lower projecting porch with Tudor arch, open lancets to the side walls and a ribbed door. Above is a cross window in the gable of the main range with coloured glass. In the L side wall is a 3-light mullioned and transomed window at the front (R) end and a cross window to the centre. In the R side wall is a small lintelled window with coloured glass. The wing has a 3-light window facing the front. In its R gable end is a 4-light bay window and a 3-light mullioned and transomed oriel window in the gable.

Interior

Not inspected.

Reasons for Listing

Listed primarily for group value with Clyne Castle and other associated listed items in Clyne Gardens.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.