History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church Cottage

A Grade II Listed Building in St. Georges-super-Ely (Sain Siorys), Vale of Glamorgan

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4818 / 51°28'54"N

Longitude: -3.2915 / 3°17'29"W

OS Eastings: 310411

OS Northings: 176667

OS Grid: ST104766

Mapcode National: GBR HS.KW71

Mapcode Global: VH6FB.W0RV

Plus Code: 9C3RFPJ5+P9

Entry Name: Church Cottage

Listing Date: 7 August 2002

Last Amended: 7 August 2002

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 26824

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Adjacent to the Church of St George, to west.

County: Vale of Glamorgan

Community: St. Georges-super-Ely (Sain Siorys)

Community: St. Georges-super-Ely

Locality: St Georges Super Ely

Traditional County: Glamorgan

Find accommodation in
Saint Fagans

History

Probably c1860. Appears on First edition OS map 1879 as Church Cottage, which is still its name although in two units. A house on or near this site is shown on the Tithe Map of 1844.

Exterior

Pair of cottages in Cottage Orne style. Of rubble with dressed stone dressings; steep-pitched roof of fishscale tiles(some plain tile replacements), terracotta coxcomb ridge tiles and overhanging eaves; stepped stone external gable stack to left, long narrow centre cross-ridge stack and paired angled brick chimneys end right. Single storey and attic. Main elevation faces garden; each cottage has a gabled dormer above a central plain doorway with hood, fishscale tiles retained to left; ground floor windows either side with slightly cambered arched heads; all glazing replaced. Rear elevation to lane has similar though smaller dormers and back doorways with flanking windows; single storey lean-to to left. Battered plinth.

Interior

Converted as maisonettes.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as a C19 cottage of definite character, notwithstanding altered glazing, and for group value with the church.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II* Church of St George
    A little to the E of the hamlet of St Georges which developed round Castle Farm, main approach from N, the centre of a small cluster of buildings grouped round the churchyard, close to the Ely River.
  • II Churchyard cross at Church of St George
    Standing to S of church.
  • II Ty Ffynnon
    In the hamlet of St Georges, fronting the lane leading to the church.
  • I Castle Farmhouse
    In the centre of the small hamlet of St Georges, which is about 0.5 m from the church; the River Ely runs along the N side.
  • II Rhaeadr Tannery
    One of the re-erected buildings in the open-air collection of the Museum of Welsh Life.
  • II Church of St Michael
    Off the road south from St Fagans and about 1000m from the Church of St Mary the Blessed Virgin.
  • II Denbigh Cockpit
    One of the re-erected buildings in the open-air collection of the Museum of Welsh Life.
  • II Hendre'r-ywydd Uchaf Farmhouse
    One of the re-erected buildings in the open-air collection of the Museum of Welsh Life.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.