History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Barn at Home Farm

A Grade II Listed Building in Sully, Vale of Glamorgan

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4119 / 51°24'42"N

Longitude: -3.2032 / 3°12'11"W

OS Eastings: 316415

OS Northings: 168782

OS Grid: ST164687

Mapcode National: GBR HX.Q6Z5

Mapcode Global: VH6FL.FSF0

Plus Code: 9C3RCQ6W+QP

Entry Name: Barn at Home Farm

Listing Date: 25 September 2002

Last Amended: 25 September 2002

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 26972

Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence

Location: On the hillside just E of the junction of Sully Road, Cog Road and Swanbridge Road, near the enclosed farmyard and reached by a track.

County: Vale of Glamorgan

Community: Sully and Lavernock (Sili a Larnog)

Community: Sully

Locality: Cog

Traditional County: Glamorgan

Find accommodation in
Dinas Powis

History

Probably C18 and a predecessor of the early C19 model farm nearby. Barn is shown on the Tithe Map of 1846. On the First Edition OS map of 1878 the yard development to rear does not appear. Belongs to Nicells, a former originally C17 farmhouse on the other side of the lane.

Exterior

Small regional barn. Of stone rubble with slate roof which extends at same pitch over porch; opposing boarded double doors. Two tiers of ventilation slits, 2 pairs each side of porch. Gable end has loft opening.

Interior

Interior has king post and angle strut trusses.

Reasons for Listing

Listed for its special interest as an intact regional barn of pre-1840 character.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Cog House
    Forming the E range of the farm complex set back behind wall with iron railings, just W of the T-junction with Swanbridge Road and Sully Road, NE of Sully village.
  • II Nicells
    At the northern end of Swanbridge Road at the junction with Cog Road and Sully Road, on the western side overlooking the complex of Cog Farm.
  • II Eight rickstands to N side of Cog Farm
    Cog Farm lies to W of the T-junction in Cog, N of Sully Village; the rickstands are situated at the NE edge of the former rickyard bordering the fields and to the rear of the farmyard buildings which
  • II Planned group of farmyard buildings at Cog Farm
    Cog Farm lies W of the T-junction in Cog, NE of Sully village; the farmyards and farm ranges are to W of the farmhouse.
  • II Downs Farmhouse
    SE of the main village on the edge of the low-lying land known as the Moors, reached by a drive.
  • II Limekiln
    In a private garden, close to the lane, a cul-de-sac, on the slope S of Cog Road.
  • II Church of St John the Baptist
    At the W end of the C20 urban development of Sully, the core of the former village, in a large roughly triangular churchyard on a corner site with Cog Road.
  • II Swanbridge House
    Directly facing the sea, separated from it only by a narrow lane; within a garden bounded at front by a wall with cast iron railings,gates and iron gatepiers.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.