This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.9245 / 52°55'28"N
Longitude: -4.1257 / 4°7'32"W
OS Eastings: 257199
OS Northings: 338458
OS Grid: SH571384
Mapcode National: GBR 5Q.MSBG
Mapcode Global: WH55L.LRMC
Entry Name: Plas Penbwll
Listing Date: 1 April 1974
Last Amended: 26 September 2005
Source ID: 85346
Location: At the E of a terrace of houses on the N side of Britannia Terrace (A487) and facing N.
Built-Up Area: Porthmadog
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
One of a row of cottages erected for workmen at Britannia Foundry (which stood immediately to the E but has been demolished), which is not shown on the 1842 Tithe map but is mentioned in a trade directory of 1844. It appears always to have been a single cottage although the 1888 Ordnance Survey suggests that it was 2 small cottages.
A 2-storey double-fronted house of roughcast painted green with smooth-rendered architraves, and slate roof with an added small skylight. The entrance is offset to the R and has a replacement panel door. Windows are round-headed iron-framed windows with small-pane radial glazing, and incorporating small pivoting lights, probably cast at Britannia Foundry. The rear has replacement windows.
Listed as part of a terrace of workers' housing retaining good industrial character and original detail. A good example of a house type once common but now rarely well-preserved.
Other nearby listed buildings