History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Enterprise House

A Grade II Listed Building in Flint, Flintshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 53.2499 / 53°14'59"N

Longitude: -3.1466 / 3°8'47"W

OS Eastings: 323593

OS Northings: 373158

OS Grid: SJ235731

Mapcode National: GBR 6ZGV.KQ

Mapcode Global: WH76S.MKTX

Plus Code: 9C5R6VX3+X9

Entry Name: Enterprise House

Listing Date: 11 June 2010

Last Amended: 11 June 2010

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 87595

Building Class: Commercial

Location: Within the Aber Park industrial estate on the north side of an access road leading west from the A5119.

County: Flintshire

Town: Flint

Community: Flint (Y Fflint)

Community: Flint

Locality: Aber Park

Built-Up Area: Flint

Traditional County: Flintshire

Tagged with: House

Find accommodation in


Office building dated 1909 above the main door and on rainwater hoppers. The Aber Park area was developed in the 1890's for the production of 'vegetable parchment' paper and then at the beginning of the C20 was used by a German company for the production of natural fibres and from 1913 onwards, the synthetic fibre viscose rayon. The works ceased production at the outbreak of the first World War and were taken over by Courtaulds in 1917 who renamed the site the Aber Works and expanded and developed textile production across north-east Wales. The factory was used for the production of Rayon until 1957 when the works then bleached pulp and paper. At the end of the C20 the area was extensively redeveloped as a modern industrial, retail and leisure site. The office building belongs to pre-first World War phase of development at Aber Park.


Office building in Renaissance Revival style. 2 storeys, double depth plan in distinctive local red brick with moulded stone eaves cornice. Hipped slate roof recessed behind parapet with 3 tall brick chimneys. Entrance front of 6 bays is symmetrically arranged with central doorway and advanced outer gables articulated by banded pilasters and stone cornice broken by full height arched recesses.

The central doorway is set in a raised brick surround with ornamental ogee arch, stone ball finials and central stone plaque. Double half glazed doors with timber tympanum with 'AD 1909' in raised lettering. Windows are small-pane cross-frame casements with projecting narrow cills. To the right of the door are 2 windows, the outermost comprising 2 narrow pairs. To the left of the door is a tall stair window with 2 narrow pairs to the left. Dividing each row of windows are rainwater and service pipes the hoppers of which have the date 1909 on them. Wide windows on each floor in advanced gables. Four flat roofed dormers to both the front and rear roof slopes all with small paned casements. Return elevations each symmetrically arranged with two pairs of windows to ground floor, and a single pair above, flanking rainwater goods. Further dormer to the right roof slope. Rear elevation is an 8-window range, the outer bays expressed as advanced gables, matching those of the front; central projecting bay window to the ground floor.


Entrance hall leads onto main half-turn stair to the first floor. Further quarter-turn secondary stair leads to the attic. The internal plan is based around the central spine wall with office rooms to the sides and rear and remains largely intact, however there has been much later refitting and insertion of paritions. Some original doors, door-frame and other joinery survive.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as a rare survival of the early twentieth century textile industry in Flint and for its exceptional design, the flamboyance and detailing reflecting the prestige and importance of the factory in this period.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Palace Social Club (former Plaza Cinema)
    Almost opposite Council Offices.
  • II South African War Memorial
    Outside main entrance of Council offices (relocated from Trelawney Square).
  • II War Memorial (CENOTAPH)
    Outside main entrance of Council offices (relocated from Trelawney Square).
  • II St Mary Church
    Between Church Street and Sydney Street, set at an angle to Church Street, oriented E-W.
  • II 34
    On corner of lane through to Feathers Street.
  • II Unit 2
    On the south side of an access road leading off from Evans Street immediately to the north of the main north coast railway line.
  • II Unit 7
    On the north side of an access road leading off from Evans Street immediately to the north of the main north coast railway line.
  • II Town Hall
    At E end of Church Street; near station.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.