History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Town Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Flint, Flintshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.25 / 53°14'59"N

Longitude: -3.1337 / 3°8'1"W

OS Eastings: 324456

OS Northings: 373149

OS Grid: SJ244731

Mapcode National: GBR 6ZKV.CP

Mapcode Global: WH76S.TKZW

Entry Name: Town Hall

Listing Date: 5 December 1972

Last Amended: 11 September 1995

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 14891

Building Class: Civil

Location: At E end of Church Street; near station.

County: Flintshire

Community: Flint (Y Fflint)

Community: Flint

Built-Up Area: Flint

Traditional County: Flintshire

Find accommodation in
Bagillt

History

Built 1840, by John Welch, architect, with later alterations. Ground floor formerly market. Original design illustrated in H Taylor, Historic Notices of Flint.

Exterior

Brown stone, ashlar to SE and NW ends, squared rubble to sides, slate roof, generally casement windows with diamond panes. Two storeys. Entrance (to SE) has flanking octagonal turrets with loops and 3-centred doorways; stepped gable between turrets (which have 3-centred arched doorways) has pinnacle; broad archway overhangs first floor window of 3 lights (central light higher) which gives onto balcony with iron balustrade; former entrance doorway has deep arch. Lean-to wings have 3-centred arched doorways/windows and corner octagonal buttresses; square-headed window to first floor returns (3-centred to ground floor). SW and NE elevations have 2 gables; on ground floors, four 3-centre arched windows or doors. On first floor (railway side) arched window to L, and two windows to R (small attic window above); first floor (town side) has 4 square-headed windows, and small attic window). NW elevation similar to main entrance but with turrets framing attic window (hoodmould), triple first floor window over ground floor arch. Beyond turrets, to each side, 3-centred arched window, small turrets to ends.

Interior

Ground floor modernised. First floor retains council chamber with hammer beam roof. Ceiling of Mayor’s parlour has heraldry of Tribes of Wales.

Reasons for Listing

Included as striking example of building type.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Flint Railway Station
    At E end of Lower Sydney Street. Station Buildings on South Platform
  • II Railway Goods Shed
    Situated in former goods yard (now car park), immediately to SE of Flint Railway Station.
  • II 34
    On corner of lane through to Feathers Street.
  • II Unit 2
    On the south side of an access road leading off from Evans Street immediately to the north of the main north coast railway line.
  • II Unit 7
    On the north side of an access road leading off from Evans Street immediately to the north of the main north coast railway line.
  • II St Mary Church
    Between Church Street and Sydney Street, set at an angle to Church Street, oriented E-W.
  • II South African War Memorial
    Outside main entrance of Council offices (relocated from Trelawney Square).
  • II War Memorial (CENOTAPH)
    Outside main entrance of Council offices (relocated from Trelawney Square).

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.