History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Unit 2

A Grade II Listed Building in Flint, Flintshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2513 / 53°15'4"N

Longitude: -3.1346 / 3°8'4"W

OS Eastings: 324395

OS Northings: 373300

OS Grid: SJ243733

Mapcode National: GBR 6ZKV.56

Mapcode Global: WH76S.TJJT

Plus Code: 9C5R7V28+G5

Entry Name: Unit 2

Listing Date: 11 June 2010

Last Amended: 11 June 2010

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 87597

Location: On the south side of an access road leading off from Evans Street immediately to the north of the main north coast railway line.

County: Flintshire

Community: Flint (Y Fflint)

Community: Flint

Built-Up Area: Flint

Traditional County: Flintshire

Find accommodation in
Flint

History

Office building associated with the Courtaulds Castle works site. In 1917 Courtaulds had established Flint as a base of textile production with the Castle Works site being developed in 1920. This building and another similar office building flank the entrance to the site, the contemporary brick-panelled boundary wall of which survives along with at least one weaving shed on the site. At the end of the C20 the area was largely redeveloped with modern light industrial units.

Exterior

Office building in neo-Georgian style, single storey in brick with cornice and parapet. 9 bays with a central projecting entrance and two bay projecting end bays all with banded pilasters. Windows are 24 pane horned sashes with rubbed brick heads and projecting cills, except the outermost windows in the two central bays which are narrow 12 pane sashes. Central part glazed timber door with glazed panel and keystone.

Return elevation to left has later brick extension in the same style, that to right has doorway and flanking windows with wider later service door to the right, all boarded at time of inspection.

Interior

Not inspected.

Reasons for Listing

Included as a rare surviving building from the early twentieth century development of the industrial site of Castle Park associated with Courtaulds, a dominant employer in the area, and for its well mannered design and appearance as a good example of its type and period. Group value with adjacent office building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Unit 7
    On the north side of an access road leading off from Evans Street immediately to the north of the main north coast railway line.
  • II Town Hall
    At E end of Church Street; near station.
  • II Flint Railway Station
    At E end of Lower Sydney Street. Station Buildings on South Platform
  • II 34
    On corner of lane through to Feathers Street.
  • II Railway Goods Shed
    Situated in former goods yard (now car park), immediately to SE of Flint Railway Station.
  • II St Mary Church
    Between Church Street and Sydney Street, set at an angle to Church Street, oriented E-W.
  • I Flint Castle including Revetment Wall of Ditch
    To NE of town centre overlooking estuary of River Dee.
  • II South African War Memorial
    Outside main entrance of Council offices (relocated from Trelawney Square).

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.