History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Public Convenience

A Grade II Listed Building in Barry, Vale of Glamorgan

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.3909 / 51°23'27"N

Longitude: -3.272 / 3°16'19"W

OS Eastings: 311593

OS Northings: 166531

OS Grid: ST115665

Mapcode National: GBR HT.RMP1

Mapcode Global: VH6FR.79LK

Plus Code: 9C3R9PRH+96

Entry Name: Public Convenience

Listing Date: 2 July 2010

Last Amended: 2 July 2010

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 87615

Location: At the eastern end of Whitmore Bay above the seafront promenade facing onto Friars Road

County: Vale of Glamorgan

Community: Barry (Y Barri)

Community: Barry

Locality: Barry Island

Built-Up Area: Barry

Traditional County: Glamorgan

Find accommodation in


Constructed c.1923 as part of the development of Barry Island as a seaside resort. The island had from the beginning of the C19 been used as a seaside resort and from 1897 Lord Windsor of Friars Point House had begun to develop the foreshore of Whitmore Bay with the construction of a Promenade and Pleasure Grounds with the intention of promoting Barry Island as a popular seaside resort. In 1909 he gifted the land between the high watermark of Whitmore Bay and Friars Road to the Barry Urban District Council who then drew up plans for further development of the island primarily as a democratic seaside resort aimed at the working classes of the industrial areas of south Wales. The First World War delayed this from happening but by the early 1920's the Council were able to bring about their improvements and the island quickly became a popular resort with crowds of around 100,000 people visiting on Bank holidays and summer weekends.


Public conveniences. Concrete with brick panels. Flat roofed single storey structure with irregular symmetrical 8 bay neo-classical fa├žade with cornice and pilasters dividing the bays. Entrances are central with the Ladies to the left and Gentlemen to the right, recessed enclosures outside of these and doors to outside bays. Signage along the frieze in raised steel lettering reads 'PUBLIC CONVENIENCE LAVATORIES & CLOAKROOMS, along the architrave 'LADIES' and 'GENTLEMEN' above either door. Narrower to the rear with high level windows (blocked at time of inspection), corner pilasters, continuous cornice and ramps to roof level. Double doors and side windows to lower ground floor on downhill side.

To the front of the building are two triangular enclosures bounded by concrete piers and balustrades on brick plinth walls.


Not inspected

Reasons for Listing

Included for its historic interest as an integral component of the complex of structures constructed during the inter-war period at Barry Island as part of the development of the Island as a seaside resort. Important also for its architectural value as a good example of a well designed and well preserved public convenience of definite quality and for its group value with the other structures of the inter-war and earlier developments.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.