History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

4, Chapel Street

A Grade II Listed Building in Stratford-upon-Avon, Warwickshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1909 / 52°11'27"N

Longitude: -1.7079 / 1°42'28"W

OS Eastings: 420061

OS Northings: 254782

OS Grid: SP200547

Mapcode National: GBR 4LT.M05

Mapcode Global: VHBY0.B6Y8

Entry Name: 4, Chapel Street

Listing Date: 25 October 1951

Last Amended: 4 April 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1298542

English Heritage Legacy ID: 366173

Location: Stratford-upon-Avon, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, CV37

County: Warwickshire

District: Stratford-on-Avon

Civil Parish: Stratford-upon-Avon

Built-Up Area: Stratford-upon-Avon

Traditional County: Warwickshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire

Church of England Parish: Stratford on Avon Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: Coventry

Find accommodation in
Stratford-upon-Avon

Listing Text


STRATFORD-UPON-AVON

SP2054NW CHAPEL STREET
604-1/10/29 (North West side)
25/10/51 No.4
(Formerly Listed as:
CHAPEL STREET
(North West side)
No.4
New Place Hotel)

GV II

Town house, now hotel. 1810. Red brick; slate roof with brick
end stack. 3 storeys; symmetrical 3-window range. Brick plinth
and plain parapet. Round-headed entrance has doorcase with
reeded pilasters, bracketed open pediment, fanlight with
radial glazing bars over 6-panel door. Windows have sills, and
rubbed brick flat arches over plate glass sashes to ground
floor, 12-pane sashes to 1st floor and 6-pane sashes to 2nd
floor. Good rainwater head and downspout to left end; fire
mark over 1st floor.
(Bearman R: Stratford-upon-Avon: A History of its Streets and
Buildings: Nelson: 1988-: 22; History of the Streets of
Stratford-upon-Avon: Bearman R et al: Chapel Street:
1971-1974).


Listing NGR: SP2006154782

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description


STRATFORD-UPON-AVON

SP2054NW CHAPEL STREET
604-1/10/29 (North West side)
25/10/51 No.4
(Formerly Listed as:
CHAPEL STREET
(North West side)
No.4
New Place Hotel)

GV II

Town house, now hotel. 1810. Red brick; slate roof with brick
end stack. 3 storeys; symmetrical 3-window range. Brick plinth
and plain parapet. Round-headed entrance has doorcase with
reeded pilasters, bracketed open pediment, fanlight with
radial glazing bars over 6-panel door. Windows have sills, and
rubbed brick flat arches over plate glass sashes to ground
floor, 12-pane sashes to 1st floor and 6-pane sashes to 2nd
floor. Good rainwater head and downspout to left end; fire
mark over 1st floor.
(Bearman R: Stratford-upon-Avon: A History of its Streets and
Buildings: Nelson: 1988-: 22; History of the Streets of
Stratford-upon-Avon: Bearman R et al: Chapel Street:
1971-1974).


Listing NGR: SP2006154782

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.