History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Canal Basins, Locks and Wharves

A Grade II Listed Building in Stourport-on-Severn, Worcestershire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3372 / 52°20'13"N

Longitude: -2.2801 / 2°16'48"W

OS Eastings: 381011

OS Northings: 271050

OS Grid: SO810710

Mapcode National: GBR 0C0.DC9

Mapcode Global: VH920.FJG5

Plus Code: 9C4V8PP9+VX

Entry Name: Canal Basins, Locks and Wharves

Listing Date: 5 July 1950

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1209441

English Heritage Legacy ID: 393302

Location: Stourport-on-Severn, Wyre Forest, Worcestershire, DY13

County: Worcestershire

Civil Parish: Stourport-on-Severn

Built-Up Area: Stourport-on-Severn

Traditional County: Worcestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire

Church of England Parish: Stourport-on-Severn and Wilden

Church of England Diocese: Worcester

Find accommodation in
Stourport

Description


STOURPORT ON SEVERN

SO8071SE Canal Basins, Locks and Wharves
589-1/8/1
05/07/50
(Formerly Listed as:
Canal Basins and Locks)

GV II

Canal basins, locks and wharves, built by the Staffordshire
and Worcestershire Canal Company from 1766. James Brindley was
the principal engineer. Original construction was stone and
brick for basin and lock walls, timber lock gates, stone wharf
walls. Much of this has now been repaired or renewed, though
the battered stone walls of the lock entrances remain and the
wharf walls survive largely intact. Canal enters by York
Street Lock in NE corner of Upper Basin, which was completed
in 1771. It still contains a small dock inlet in the north
section. Channel links this basin to Old Basin of 1782 to the
west, and locks south from each basin link to the lower basins
of 1771 and 1775. Dry dock entered from western lower basin,
and narrow boat locks of 1781 connect it with the river. Barge
locks leave from the eastern lower basin, 1771. Graving docks
also accessed from this basin. Brick and stone bridges
formerly crossed the locks linking upper and lower basins: the
eastern bridge survives substantially, though one parapet has
been renewed. A small cast-iron bridge (early C20?) crosses
the top of the narrow boat locks, and a brick bridge crosses
at the bottom. Wharf walls of coursed and squared sandstone
extend along the river between the two sets of locks, and
eastward for some 100 m., also probably late C18.
(Porteous J D: Canal Ports: The Urban Achievement of the Canal
Age: London: 1977-: 83-105).


Listing NGR: SO8101171049

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.