This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.3961 / 53°23'45"N
Longitude: -1.4965 / 1°29'47"W
OS Eastings: 433575
OS Northings: 388924
OS Grid: SK335889
Mapcode National: GBR 99D.MD
Mapcode Global: WHCCB.ZWJV
Entry Name: Caretakers House walkley Board School wall and Railing
Listing Date: 3 June 1992
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1271105
English Heritage Legacy ID: 456099
Location: Sheffield, S6
Electoral Ward/Division: Walkley
Built-Up Area: Sheffield
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: The Vine, Sheffield
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
SK38NW BURNABY WALK
784-1/5/123 (East side)
03/06/92 Walkley Board School, caretaker's
house (No.189), wall and railing
Board school and attached caretaker's house, boundary wall and
railing. Dated 1874, with caretaker's house 1877. By Innocent
& Brown. For the Sheffield School Board. Addition 1907 by HL
Patterson. Rock-faced stone with ashlar dressings and gabled
and hipped slate roofs with coped gables and decorative ridge
tiles. Gothic Revival style. 3 stone ridge stacks with
multiple flues linked by ventilators with louvred openings.
Plinth and sillbands. H-plan.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys; 6 window range. Ground floor windows
boarded at time of survey. Shouldered front gable has corner
buttresses. Central cusped pointed arched niche with datestone
and inscribed band below. Above it, a shallow buttress rising
into a stepped bracket carrying a diagonally set bell turret
with pyramidal spire and finial. 4 pointed arched openings.
Flanking the buttress, 2 segment-arched stepped windows with
transoms and cusped heads. Above them, a string course forming
pointed arches, each with 4 slit ventilators. Ground floor has
2 flat-headed windows and a doorway to right.
On either side, set back wings, the left hipped, the right
gabled. Left wing has a single window, and below, in the
return angle, an angled infill with 2 larger shouldered
windows. Right wing has single large window.
Right return has gable to left, with a triple window with
larger round-arched central light. Below, a single storey
projection with flat roof and 2 segment-headed windows.
Central block has a stone mullioned cross casement flanked by
single gabled through-eaves dormers, each with a stone
mullioned cross casement with round-arched lights. Above them,
slit ventilators. Below, 2 windows to left, a 3 large
segment-headed triple windows to right. In the left return
angle, an angled doorway.
Rear cross-wing has 12 unequally spaced shouldered windows.
Below, 6 large segment-headed arches. Returns have 2
shouldered windows above, and a single arch below.
Caretaker's house, to left of main gable, 3 storeys plus
attics; 2 window range. On the first floor, a small window to
left, and a larger window to right. Above, a 2-light casement.
Below, 2 windows, the right one larger. Left return has a
large hipped projection with a box dormer.
INTERIOR not inspected.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: outside, low boundary wall with
triangular stepped coping and wrought-iron railing and gate.
To right, a double wrought-iron gate. Round cornered wall in
front of the main gable has chamfered ashlar stepped coping
and wrought-iron railing. Boundary wall with triangular coping
and round corners encloses the polygonal site.
This school is one of a number designed by Innocent & Brown
for the Sheffield School Board, and is amongst the earliest in
England to be built after the 1870 Education Act.
Building vacant at time of survey.
(Researches by G Hague, Sheffield City Council).
Listing NGR: SK3357588924
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings