History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Wilden Viaduct

A Grade II Listed Building in Stourport-on-Severn, Worcestershire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3455 / 52°20'43"N

Longitude: -2.2617 / 2°15'42"W

OS Eastings: 382266

OS Northings: 271971

OS Grid: SO822719

Mapcode National: GBR 0BT.YTC

Mapcode Global: VH920.R95R

Plus Code: 9C4V8PWQ+68

Entry Name: Wilden Viaduct

Listing Date: 22 November 2000

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1271256

English Heritage Legacy ID: 487115

Location: Stourport-on-Severn, Wyre Forest, Worcestershire, DY13

County: Worcestershire

Civil Parish: Stourport-on-Severn

Built-Up Area: Stourport-on-Severn

Traditional County: Worcestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire

Church of England Parish: Wilden All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Worcester

Find accommodation in
Stourport

Listing Text

STOURPORT ON SEVERN

SO87SW Wilden Viaduct
589/2/10005
22-NOV-00

II

Railway viaduct. Built 1859-60 by the Severn Valley Railway, engineers John Fowler and Henry Bridgeman. Coursed red sandstone and red brick. There are five segmental arches in total, extending for about 70m over the River Stour, a footpath and water meadows. The widest and most elaborate span, located to the centre of the structure, is a skew arch of approximately 20m on the skew and 8m on the square. This span has sandstone facing, sandstone voussoirs and brick intrados. Immediately joining both ends are massive curved abutments faced in sandstone. The arches have spans of approximately 7.6m; spandrels faced with sandstone and brick extrados and intrados, and are supported by sandstone piers having projecting sandstone imposts immediately below the springing line. The entire structure is surmounted on both sides by low sandstone parapets. Approximate height above the river is 20m. It is likely that the stone was quarried in the outcrop adjacent to the railway line some 500m to the east of the viaduct.
History: The viaduct was built as a part of the Severn Valley Railway, which was constructed from Hartlebury to Shrewsbury and opened in 1862. It was worked by the West Midland Railway until taken over by the Great Western Railway in 1872. The line at this point was closed in 1981 and is now a footpath.
Included as a handsome and unaltered Severn Valley Railway viaduct dating from 1860 and designed by John Fowler.


Listing NGR: SO8226671971

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.