History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints

A Grade II Listed Building in Stourport-on-Severn, Worcestershire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3477 / 52°20'51"N

Longitude: -2.2595 / 2°15'34"W

OS Eastings: 382419

OS Northings: 272217

OS Grid: SO824722

Mapcode National: GBR 0BT.ZG7

Mapcode Global: VH920.S8C1

Plus Code: 9C4V8PXR+35

Entry Name: Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 5 July 1950

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1292175

English Heritage Legacy ID: 393390

Location: Stourport-on-Severn, Wyre Forest, Worcestershire, DY13

County: Worcestershire

District: Wyre Forest

Civil Parish: Stourport-on-Severn

Built-Up Area: Wilden

Traditional County: Worcestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire

Church of England Parish: Wilden All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Worcester

Find accommodation in
Stourport

Listing Text


STOURPORT ON SEVERN

SO8272 WILDEN LANE, Wilden
589-1/4/97 (East side)
05/07/50 Church of All Saints

II

Church. 1880. By W.F. Hopkins. Brick with stone dressings and
plain tiled roof. Late C13 Gothic style. Nave with western
bellcote and chancel without structural division. Doorway in
ornately carved timber south porch, with traceried spandrels
and panels above the entrance arch. South door itself has
plain roll moulded stone arch. Blue brick plinth and sill band
to butressed south wall, stone dressings to windows, which are
lancets, arranged singly or paired, with plain trefoils to
nave, cusped to chancel. Taller window in gable marks the
junction of nave and chancel. Central buttress in west wall,
between paired lancet windows with quatrefoil heads, and
bellcote corbelled out on a stone arch with quatrefoil light.
Projecting coped gable in north wall with Decorated window.
Chancel roof sweeps over vestry to north. Decorated east
window. Interior is also exposed brick with blue brick bands
and stone dressings. Painted texts on dado band, and over
south doorway. Although there is no chancel arch, the
distinction between nave and chancel is marked by different
roof detailing: the basic roof structure is a series of
cross-braced trusses with wrought-iron ties, but in the
chancel, these have additional hammer beam supports, with
traceried panels and quatrefoils in the spandrels. The slope
of the roof between the trusses is also embellished with
quatrefoiled wind braces. Paired hammered coronae to chancel.
There is a complete scheme of glazing by Morris and Company,
installed between 1900-1925 in commemoration of the family of
Alfred Baldwin. The designs use earlier cartoons by Sir Edward
Burne Jones, Ford Maddox Brown and William Morris. South and
north lancets lights each contain a single figure (saints and
virtues), set against a foliate ground. East window has Christ
with children in central light, flanked by St George and St
Martin, with small narrative scenes of angels below. West
window has angels playing musical instruments. The church was
endowed by Alfred Baldwin, whose wife was the sister of Lady
Burne Jones.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner; Sewter: Catalogue of Glass
by Burne Jones: 1975-: 203-4).


Listing NGR: SO8241972217

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.