History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Semaphore Signals at Former Beach Station

A Grade II Listed Building in Cromer, Norfolk

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.93 / 52°55'47"N

Longitude: 1.2904 / 1°17'25"E

OS Eastings: 621244

OS Northings: 342021

OS Grid: TG212420

Mapcode National: GBR VBR.91Q

Mapcode Global: WHMS2.SMN5

Entry Name: Semaphore Signals at Former Beach Station

Listing Date: 24 May 2000

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1380343

English Heritage Legacy ID: 480345

Location: Cromer, North Norfolk, Norfolk, NR27

County: Norfolk

Civil Parish: Cromer

Built-Up Area: Cromer

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Cromer St Peter and St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in
Cromer

Listing Text

CROMER

TG24SW HOLT ROAD
892/2/10006 Semaphore signals at
24-MAY-00 Former Beach Station

GV II

Semaphore signals. Probably 1920 but may have been resited in 1954. Origin probably Midland and Great Northern Joint Railway or Great Eastern Railway, but resited by British Railways.
Steel and timber. Two cylindrical steel posts, each with a timber semaphore arm. Included as examples of a traditional type having group value with Cromer signal box which they immediately adjoin.
History The line between Melton Constable and Cromer Beach was built by the Eastern and Midland Railway and opened in 1887. This railway failed in 1890 and was bought jointly by the Midland Railway and the Great Northern Railway, thus forming the Midland and Great Northern Joint Railway in 1893. This railway, with 183 miles of track, was the largest of the joint railways and remained independent until 1936 because its parent companies were incorporated into different groupings', LMS and LNER, the LNER finally taking full responsibility in 1936.
Cromer signal box is the last box from this system still working out of an original 90. It was built in 1920 as Cromer Yard and was refitted with the present frame when Cromer High station was closed in 1954 and all the traffic transferred to Cromer Beach.
References: Jack Simmons and Gordon Biddle, The Oxford Companion to Railway History, OUP, 1997, p 103 for concrete and p 320 for Midland and Great Northern Joint Railway.
Richard Adderson and Graham Kenworthy, Branch Lines around Cromer, Middleton Press,1998.
Michael A.Vanns, Signal Boxes, Ian Allan, 1997, p 113.
The Signalling Study Group, The Signal Box, OPC, 1986, pps 123-4.


Listing NGR: TG2123642009

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.