This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.0762 / 51°4'34"N
Longitude: -4.0557 / 4°3'20"W
OS Eastings: 256084
OS Northings: 132770
OS Grid: SS560327
Mapcode National: GBR KR.DDCJ
Mapcode Global: FRA 26D8.MRW
Plus Code: 9C3Q3WGV+FP
Entry Name: Riversvale
Listing Date: 31 August 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1385211
English Heritage Legacy ID: 485673
Location: Barnstaple, North Devon, Devon, EX32
Civil Parish: Barnstaple
Built-Up Area: Barnstaple
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Barnstaple Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS5632 LITCHDON STREET
684-1/5/195 (South West side)
House, now offices of North Devon Health Authority. 1839, with
mid C19 addition on right-hand side. Solid rendered walls,
probably of stone or brick. Hipped, slated roofs. Plain,
rendered chimneys, asymmetrically placed, with rebuilt tops.
Double-fronted, 3 rooms deep, with central entrance passage
leading to main staircase at rear; back stairs in place of
right-hand middle room. Mid C19 addition consists of a wing at
the front and a separate wing at the rear, both probably with
only 1 or 2 rooms per floor.
2 storeys with semi-basement; the front wing of mid C19 has 3
storeys within the same overall height. Entrance front, facing
S, is 3-window range, the centre window set in a slight
projection. Rusticated basement with segmental-headed window
to left and flat-headed window to right; C20 casements. Ground
and 2nd-storey windows have barred sashes of 6 panes, except
for 9-paned lower sashes in ground storey. Central entrance
porch with coupled Greek Doric pilasters and entablature.
Balustraded stone steps in front; concrete balustrade.
4-panelled door with adjoining 4-panelled section, apparently
just a screen, to left. Flanking panelled pilasters to both
storeys. Deeply projecting eaves cornice.
Left side wall, partly visible from Taw Vale and the
riverside, has been altered, but retains original barred
sashes in ground storey. Balcony with ornate wrought-iron
balustrade in upper storey.
Rear wall (partly visible from Taw Vale and Litchdon Street)
has small-paned windows, including the tall round-arched stair
window, which has coloured glass in the margin-panes. Mid C19
addition is 2-window range where it adjoins the entrance
front. Segmental-headed windows with moulded imposts and
keyblocks; plain sashes. Entablature at 2nd-floor level.
Rusticated quoins in 2nd and 3rd storeys. Top entablature and
Return front to Litchdon Street plainer, but with a pair of
similar windows in 3rd storey and a bracketed eaves cornice.
Addition to rear of this has in front facing Litchdon Street,
a projecting 3-light window with triangular pediment above.
INTERIOR: in 1986, entrance lobby had moulded ceiling with
circular panel enclosed within a square. Round-arched inner
doorway with panelled pilasters, moulded archivolt and
patterned fanlight; door with panels below and small-paned
glazing above, the corner margin-panes with coloured glass.
Passage and stair hall had enriched dado-rails, modillion
cornices and foliated chandelier bosses. 4-panelled doors with
moulded architraves. Open-well wooden staircase with shaped
step-ends. Wrought-iron balustrade, voluted at the foot, with
panels of scrollwork and honeysuckle. Original wooden back
stair with thin, square-section balusters. Rooms seemed to
have been stripped of detail, but lowered ceilings might
conceal original cornices and chandelier bosses.
An 1839 deed of No.22 (qv) describes the house on the south
(presumably this one) as 'lately erected'.
(Title Deed to No.22 Litchdon Street).
Listing NGR: SS5608432770
Other nearby listed buildings