This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4907 / 51°29'26"N
Longitude: -0.0954 / 0°5'43"W
OS Eastings: 532325
OS Northings: 178576
OS Grid: TQ323785
Mapcode National: GBR QM.QT
Mapcode Global: VHGR0.9SFM
Plus Code: 9C3XFWR3+7R
Entry Name: Church of St John the Evangelist
Listing Date: 17 September 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1385644
English Heritage Legacy ID: 471048
Location: North Walworth, Southwark, London, SE17
Electoral Ward/Division: East Walworth
Built-Up Area: Southwark
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Walworth St John
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
TQ3278 LARCOM STREET
636-1/8/466 (South side)
Church of St John the Evangelist
Anglican church. 1859-60. By Henry Jarvis, District Surveyor.
Vestry of 1912 by Greenaway and Newberry. Fittings by Comper,
including rood and rails, 1928.
MATERIALS: ragstone facing, roofs of slate.
STYLE: Gothic Revival.
PLAN: square-ended chancel of 3 bays; nave of 5 with aisles.
South-west tower. Entrance porch 4th nave bay from east, north
side. Second entrance in centre of west end at foot of
EXTERIOR: 5 lancets to east end with corner buttresses; aisles
articulated by setback buttresses; aisles lit by single
lancets; roundels to clerestory dormers. Bar tracery, of 4
lights, to west end, with roundel of unusual design to steeply
The west elevation a most arresting design, but impossible to
view except from narrow forecourt to the west: 3 stages, with
setback, corner buttresses rising through the 2nd; the top,
bell stage articulated by blind Early English arcade; gable
end of saddleback tower facing west and east. The entire
design recalls the earlier works of Butterfield and
particularly Henry Woodyer.
INTERIOR: open timber roofs to chancel and nave. The latter
has one steeply pitched dormer per bay and a very shallow
clerestory. The arcades are carried on paired cast-iron
columns, most unusual in a 'High' Anglican church of this
Listing NGR: TQ3232578576
Other nearby listed buildings