This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.4859 / 53°29'9"N
Longitude: -2.2524 / 2°15'8"W
OS Eastings: 383347
OS Northings: 398832
OS Grid: SJ833988
Mapcode National: GBR DGF.ZC
Mapcode Global: WHB9G.CMNZ
Plus Code: 9C5VFPPX+92
Entry Name: Manchester Tennis and Racquet Club
Listing Date: 21 January 1996
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1386080
English Heritage Legacy ID: 471504
Location: Salford, M3
Electoral Ward/Division: Ordsall
Built-Up Area: Salford
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Salford Sacred Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Manchester
SJ8398NW BLACKFRIARS ROAD
949-1/20/6 (South West side)
Manchester Tennis and Racquet Club
Tennis and racquet club. c1880. By George T Redmayne, with
later alterations. Brick with terracotta dressings, slate and
part-glazed roof. Irregularly grouped as T-plan, with main
courts buildings ranged parallel to street and set back from
it with central wing advanced towards street, housing
entrance, and flanking buildings filling in the angles each
EXTERIOR: entrance block expressed as 3 storeys, with moulded
round-arched doorway in flat-roofed porch to right, and
round-headed window alongside. Arcaded range of 3 round-headed
windows with continuous hoodmould to first floor, and blind
round-arched window in raised upper storey. Fluted chimney
stack alongside to right hand side. Shallow gabled range to
right, with arcade of 4 bays to ground floor, with 3
round-arched windows. Paired windows set beneath wide
relieving arch with terracotta panelling in the spandrel
beneath gable above. Flat-roofed single-storeyed block to left
of entrance, also with round-arched windows and high parapet.
INTERIOR: substantially unaltered, with racquets court
retaining original surfaces and complete real tennis court
together with other principal reception rooms and staircase.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the club was founded in 1878, and moved to
its present site c1880. Originally it comprised a real tennis
court, racquets court and bowling alley, to which a squash
court was added as an upper floor in 1925.
(Aberdare Lord: Willis Faber Book of Tennis and Racquets:
Listing NGR: SJ8334798832
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings