History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Shelter

A Grade II Listed Building in Brinnington and Central, Stockport

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4047 / 53°24'16"N

Longitude: -2.1586 / 2°9'30"W

OS Eastings: 389554

OS Northings: 389772

OS Grid: SJ895897

Mapcode National: GBR FYC2.G7

Mapcode Global: WHB9W.TP98

Entry Name: Shelter

Listing Date: 11 July 2007

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1392093

English Heritage Legacy ID: 503285

Location: Stockport, SK1

County: Stockport

Electoral Ward/Division: Brinnington and Central

Built-Up Area: Stockport

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Stockport St Thomas

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Stockport

Listing Text


701/0/10040 WELLINGTON ROAD SOUTH
11-JUL-07 (Southwest side)
Shelter

GV II
Shelter, built c1937. Portland stone.

EXTERIOR: Rectangular shelter with open front, situated to rear of pavement, set into pre-existing stone retaining wall, with raised ground level to sides and rear. Designed in a Neoclassical Greek Revival style. Open-fronted with two Corinthian columns flanked by square-section end pilasters supporting an entablature and flat roof. In centre of north-west side wall is cast-iron rainwater hopper, with flower motif, and rectangular downpipe.

INTERIOR: Side and rear walls carved with plain rectangular panels. Three panels on rear wall separated by two pilasters. Moulded cornice. Against rear wall is full-length wooden bench.

HISTORY: One of a pair of shelters probably built by the County Borough Works Office. Designed to emulate the architecture of the War Memorial Art Gallery (q.v.), designed by James Theodore Halliday of Halliday, Paterson & Agate of Manchester and opened in 1925. This shelter and its pair on Greek Street are set into the art gallery's boundary walls, which were previously the walls of Stockport Grammar School, which stood on the site from 1832 to 1915.

REASONS FOR DESIGNATION DECISION
The shelter on Wellington Road South is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* The shelter, which is one of a pair, displays a distinguished architectural design quality in its use of the Neoclassical Greek revival style
* The quality of materials and craftsmanship are exceptional for so functional a structure
* It is in well preserved, original condition
* It has group value with the similarly styled War Memorial Art Gallery (q.v.) into whose boundary wall it is set, and with the shelter in the boundary wall fronting Greek Street (q.v.)

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.