This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.4055 / 53°24'19"N
Longitude: -2.1586 / 2°9'30"W
OS Eastings: 389552
OS Northings: 389862
OS Grid: SJ895898
Mapcode National: GBR FYC1.GY
Mapcode Global: WHB9W.TN8N
Entry Name: Guidepost
Listing Date: 1 November 2007
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1392302
English Heritage Legacy ID: 503368
Location: Stockport, SK1
Electoral Ward/Division: Brinnington and Central
Built-Up Area: Stockport
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Stockport St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Chester
701/0/10043 EDWARD STREET
Also Known As: Guidepost, WELLINGTON ROAD SOUTH
Guidepost. Early-mid C20. Manufactured by Stanton Ironworks Company of Ilkeston, Derbyshire. Cast-iron.
Cylindrical post with four fingers and an annular finial with the words `County Borough of Stockport'. Two fingers point north and south along the line of the A6 (Wellington Road South), the southern finger listing London 182 ½, Hazel Grove 2 ½, Macclesfield 12 ½, Buxton 18, the northern finger listing Carlisle 118 ½ and Manchester 6 ½. The other two fingers point north-east along Edward Street (Marple 4, Hyde 5 ½), and south-west along Greek Street (Cheadle 2 ¾, Altrincham 9, Chester 39).
HISTORY: Stanton Ironworks Company was a principal manufacturer of guideposts during the later C19 and early-mid C20. The guidepost is post 1888 as Stockport became a County Borough that year. It is likely that it dates from early-mid C20; the adjacent Town Hall opened in 1908.
REASONS FOR DESIGNATION DECISION
The Edward Street/Wellington Road South guidepost is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* It is an intact and unaltered example of an early-mid C20 cast-iron guidepost with four `fingers'.
* It is located in a prominent position in the Town Hall Conservation Area and stands adjacent to the front elevation of the Grade II* Town Hall (q.v.), and in close proximity to four Corinthian capitals (q.v.), the former Stockport Infirmary (q.v.), the Grade II* War Memorial Art Gallery (q.v.), and the Wellington Road South and Greek Street shelters (q.v.).
* This functional piece of municipal design illustrates the civic pride of the late C19 County Borough of Stockport by implying that it was situated on a direct route to London in the south and Carlisle in the north.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings