This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.7673 / 55°46'2"N
Longitude: -4.1636 / 4°9'49"W
OS Eastings: 264354
OS Northings: 654777
OS Grid: NS643547
Mapcode National: GBR 3W.9NM6
Mapcode Global: WH4QV.09LL
Plus Code: 9C7QQR8P+WG
Entry Name: Alma, 181 Maxwellton Avenue, East Kilbride
Listing Name: 181 Maxwelton Avenue, Alma , Including Gatepiers and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 27 September 1988
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 331486
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB1025
Building Class: Cultural
Location: East Kilbride
County: South Lanarkshire
Town: East Kilbride
Electoral Ward: East Kilbride Central North
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Probably David Rhind, 1839. 5-bay, single storey former school with 4-bay range to N. Piended roof; base course. Squared sandstone; dressed margins.
NW (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: central bay with pediment breaking through eaves; entrance porch with 3-pane fanlight and panelled door; 2 single windows flanking at either side. NE range 3 single windows; gateway to left.
NE ELEVATION: attached range.
SE (REAR) ELEVATION: central canted bay; 2 single windows flanking at either side; gateway on left leading to front garden.
SW ELEVATION: attached gateway.
12-pane timber sash and case windows. Slate roof; tall, coped stack at left wallhead; central wallhead chimney to rear.
GATEPIERS: 3 tall stone piers at entrance to house; square shafts on short plinths; shallow pyramidal corniced caps. 2 shorter stone piers at rear entrance; square shafts with stepped pyramidal caps.
BOUNDARY WALL: coped rubble wall.
Until 1740, the area of Maxwelton was called Hogsmuir - a reference to the livestock market that was held in the area. Between 1740 and 1750, the first weaver cottages were built in the area and during the eighteenth-century a small village developed, which fiercely guarded its independence from East Kilbride until the mid-twentieth century. In 1839, Sir William Alexander Maxwell of Calderwood Castle - his family were the namesake of the village - established a local school that outranked the Parish School of East Kilbride. His endowment provided education for the poor in the area. Subjects taught included English, arithmetic, Latin and dressmaking for girls. A group of 3 small cottages were built to the left of the boundary wall as accommodation for the teachers. The master was paid a salary of ?40, the female teacher and assistant ?12 each. By 1886, 90 students were enrolled at the school. In 1889, the School Board took over the school and by 1908 it was solely used as an infants school. In 1911, the school closed and was bought a year later and transformed into a home. In 1921, Captain Tillet purchased the house and gave it its present name, Alma; he named it after his wife Alice Marie.
Formerly Item 59 in East Kilbride Parish and transferred to the Burgh on Resurvey 13 June 2002.
Other nearby listed buildings