This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.6161 / 55°36'57"N
Longitude: -2.8057 / 2°48'20"W
OS Eastings: 349349
OS Northings: 636124
OS Grid: NT493361
Mapcode National: GBR 83VH.CM
Mapcode Global: WH7WN.W34H
Plus Code: 9C7VJ58V+CP
Entry Name: King's Hotel, 56 Market Street
Listing Name: 56 Market Street, King's Hotel
Listing Date: 14 November 2006
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 399242
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50708
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Galashiels and District
Traditional County: Selkirkshire
Circa 1905. 3-storey with upper breaking eaves, 7-bay irregular-plan hotel. Whin rubble with red sandstone ashlar dressings; rock-faced to upper floors. Harled to rear. First floor string course, second floor signage band course. Stop-chamfered window surrounds.
FRONT (EAST) ELEVATION: regular fenestration. Bipartites and single windows. Timber barge-boarded dormer-heads.
Timber sash and case plate glass windows. Purple slate roof. Clay ridges and ashlar skews. Wallhead stacks. Cast iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: substantially modernised but retaining features such as plasterwork and the formal timber stair.
Although relatively late in date for its style, the King's Hotel in Market Street makes a significant contribution to the streetscape on this most prominent of streets. This imposing building is well-detailed and well-built, a good example of an early 20th century commercial hotel.
The present King's Hotel dates to the early 20th century, and replaced an earlier hotel on the site (The Volunteer Arms). King's Temperance Hotel was previously on the corner of Overhaugh Street and Market Street.
On the present site in the late 19th century there was both a 3-bay, 3-storey building (possibly a house) and the Volunteer's Arms, which appears from early photographs to be a 3 or 4 bay 3-storey Hotel. The present building follows exactly the line of this block and it is unclear if part of the older building was retained.
Other nearby listed buildings