This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.2336 / 53°14'1"N
Longitude: -3.8012 / 3°48'4"W
OS Eastings: 279873
OS Northings: 372248
OS Grid: SH798722
Mapcode National: GBR 64.073S
Mapcode Global: WH65B.LZ3D
Plus Code: 9C5R65MX+FG
Entry Name: The Pin Mill
Listing Date: 31 January 1952
Last Amended: 12 November 1996
Source ID: 65
Building Class: Industrial
Location: Located to the W of the house at the southern end of the Canal Terrace.
Community: Eglwysbach (Eglwys-bach)
Locality: Bodnant Gardens
Traditional County: Denbighshire
Originally built c1730 as a garden house or lodge at Woodchester, Gloucestershire. Subsequently used as a hide store for a neighbouring tannery and as a pin factory, it was purchased, when derelict, by the second Lord Aberconway, who dismantled it and had it reconstructed at Bodnant in 1938/9. The architect J. Murray Easton (of Easton and Robertson) made some repairs and sensitive alterations.
Elegant tripartite loggia of roughcast rubble with fine sandstone detailing and stone roof tiles. Symmetrical, with storeyed central tower and low flanking pavilions; rusticated quoins. The tower has a pyramidal roof with cylindrical stone chimney and a moulded pediment to the front; armorial carving within and stone urn finials to apex and sides. Central round-arched opening with plain stringcourse at springing and an oculus above with leaded glazing and rusticated voussoirs. The upper floor has a fine Venetian window with small-pane sash glazing and 12-pane sashes with Gibbs surrounds to the E and W returns. The pavilions have plain gables with oculi to the front and sides, with twin arched openings below a plain stringcourse, these an adjustment by Easton. The oculi have raised voussoirs at the cardinal points; the arches have plain imposts and keystones. The arches to the W side are enclosed, with glazed upper sections; further Gibbs surround window to the rear of the tower section, with oculus below, as before. On the central pier of the eastern pavilion arcade (E side) is a dedication inscription with the date 1939; the lead hoppers to the building also have, in raised characters:`C and H A, 1939,' (for Christabel and Henry Aberconway).
Pegged and bolted roofs exposed to pavilion sections, with stopped-chamfered purlins. Flat plaster ceiling to central tower with moulded plaster cornice; arched openings to pavilion sections. C18-style mahogany, Chinoiserie staircase, leading to upper tower room, with a stone, Rococo scallop wall fountain beneath. Stone flagged floors and plastered internal walls.
Listed Grade II* as an extremely fine and well-detailed early Georgian garden building, at a focal point in the design of Bodnant Gardens.
Group value with other listed items at Bodnant.
Other nearby listed buildings