History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Railway Goods Shed

A Grade II Listed Building in Flint, Flintshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2495 / 53°14'58"N

Longitude: -3.1323 / 3°7'56"W

OS Eastings: 324545

OS Northings: 373096

OS Grid: SJ245730

Mapcode National: GBR 6ZKV.NV

Mapcode Global: WH76S.VLL7

Plus Code: 9C5R6VX9+Q3

Entry Name: Railway Goods Shed

Listing Date: 18 July 1990

Last Amended: 11 September 1995

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 582

Building Class: Transport

Location: Situated in former goods yard (now car park), immediately to SE of Flint Railway Station.

County: Flintshire

Community: Flint (Y Fflint)

Community: Flint

Built-Up Area: Flint

Traditional County: Flintshire

Find accommodation in
Flint

Exterior

Built circa 1860. Snecked freestone (in contrast to Francis Thompsons usual use of brick with stone dressings). Single storey, 4-bay gabled shed with pitched slate roof, oversailing eaves and verges with curved wooden brackets. Blind pilastered bays sides and gables which also have oculi in residual pediments. Former train cart openings are flanked by short screen walls with cappings and timber fender posts; tall double boarded doors on long hinges under timber lintels.

Interior

Interior retains large timber roof trusses with king posts and diagonal braces (probably formerly supporting crane).

Reasons for Listing

Listed for its exceptional design in stone work from early period of Chester to Holyhead line and for group value with the main station building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Flint Railway Station
    At E end of Lower Sydney Street. Station Buildings on South Platform
  • II Town Hall
    At E end of Church Street; near station.
  • II 34
    On corner of lane through to Feathers Street.
  • II St Mary Church
    Between Church Street and Sydney Street, set at an angle to Church Street, oriented E-W.
  • II Unit 7
    On the north side of an access road leading off from Evans Street immediately to the north of the main north coast railway line.
  • II Unit 2
    On the south side of an access road leading off from Evans Street immediately to the north of the main north coast railway line.
  • I Flint Castle including Revetment Wall of Ditch
    To NE of town centre overlooking estuary of River Dee.
  • II War Memorial (CENOTAPH)
    Outside main entrance of Council offices (relocated from Trelawney Square).

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.