This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.2497 / 53°14'58"N
Longitude: -3.1325 / 3°7'56"W
OS Eastings: 324534
OS Northings: 373120
OS Grid: SJ245731
Mapcode National: GBR 6ZKV.MS
Mapcode Global: WH76S.VLJ1
Plus Code: 9C5R6VX9+V2
Entry Name: Flint Railway Station
Listing Date: 18 July 1990
Last Amended: 11 September 1995
Source ID: 581
Building Class: Transport
Location: At E end of Lower Sydney Street. Station Buildings on South Platform
Community: Flint (Y Fflint)
Built-Up Area: Flint
Traditional County: Flintshire
Built soon after 1845 when work commenced on the Chester and Holyhead Railway engineered by Robert Stephenson. Station and other buildings designed by Francis Thompson, architect for the line.
Late classical, symmetrical design of 2 storeys with offices, staff and passenger facilities to ground floor, and station masters accommodation above. Five bay entrance facade of brick construction with Penmon stone dressings, all painted and rendered; outer wings flank entrance. Hipped slate roofs, tall brick stacks with heavy classical stone cornices, wide eaves; moulded cornice over ground floor. Widely spaced upper windows with heavy architraves, consoled cornices and sill brackets pushed under eaves; sashes (mainly) with original glazing bars including unusual pairing of centre bars. Armorial panel with ovoid cartouche and volutes to centre over plain canopy with ironwork brackets to entrance. Similar window treatment to ground floor, lugged margins, sunk panels to cornices and original sash glazing except to right hand wing. Low single window and slated extension with tall brick stack to left end.
5 window platform facade with similar detailing to entrance front. Original glazing and central canopy on brackets between low one-window wings to L and R.
The first of Francis Thompson’s 1840s station buildings out of Chester retaining most of its original character.
Group value with engine shed.
Other nearby listed buildings