Statue of Second Marquess of Bute
A Grade II Listed Building in Cardiff, Cardiff
Latitude: 51.4752 / 51°28'30"N
Longitude: -3.1735 / 3°10'24"W
OS Eastings: 318593
OS Northings: 175791
OS Grid: ST185757
Mapcode National: GBR KKP.C4
Mapcode Global: VH6FD.Y54Y
Plus Code: 9C3RFRGG+3H
Entry Name: Statue of Second Marquess of Bute
Listing Date: 19 May 1975
Last Amended: 30 June 2009
Source ID: 13799
Building Class: Commemorative
Location: On S of Callaghan Square.
Built-Up Area: Cardiff
Traditional County: Glamorgan
1849-53; by John Evan Thomas. Originally stood outside the old Guildhall at N end of St Mary Street before being moved to the S end of the street. The Second Marquess laid the foundations of modern Cardiff by the development of the Bute East and West Docks.
Standing bronze figure on granite base.
Reasons for Listing
Early example of Victorian public scuplture commemorating the founder of modern Cardiff.
Other nearby listed buildings
To S of junction with Herbert Street.
Greek Orthodox Church of St Nicholas
On a small, square site, to N of St Mary's Church. Set back to W of Bute Street from which it is reached via North Church Street. Presbytery to the front.
Warehouse on corner of Lloyd George Avenue and Herbert Street
Sited on corner of Lloyd George Avenue and Herbert Street, formerly on N quayside of Bute West Dock, (now filled in).
Warehouse Adjacent to Marquess of Bute's Warehouse
Sited well back from Lloyd George Avenue, formerly on N quayside of Bute West Dock (now filled in). N front visible from Herbert Street. Adjacent to Marquess of Bute's Warehouse, and with S front alig
Marquess of Bute's Warehouse
Sited well back from Lloyd George Avenue beyond adjoining warehouses, formerly on N quayside of Bute West Dock (now filled in). N front visible from Herbert Street at bridge over dock feeder.
Parish Church of St Mary the Virgin and St Stephen the Martyr, including forecourt wall and railings
Set back from the road behind small railed forecourt with crucifixion; stone gate piers to entrances at either end.
Old Custom House
On corner of East Canal Wharf and Customhouse Street, on wharf of former Glamorganshire Canal.
Premises occupied by Jacob's Antique Market
Immediately S of railway bridge, and adjoining Jacobs antique market of which building is now part.