This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0348 / 52°2'5"N
Longitude: -4.62 / 4°37'12"W
OS Eastings: 220378
OS Northings: 240612
OS Grid: SN203406
Mapcode National: GBR D1.FW4Z
Mapcode Global: VH2N2.V3XZ
Plus Code: 9C4Q29MH+WX
Entry Name: Rhosygilwen
Listing Date: 15 April 1994
Last Amended: 15 April 1994
Source ID: 14529
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated off Cilgerran-Rhos Hill road, down drive leading off lane running E from Ty Rhos chapel.
Locality: Rhos Hill
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Owned by Jones family to 1697, passed to the Colby family and was rebuilt c.1830 for John Humphreys, related by marriage to the Colbys, 'in domestic Gothic style'. Again rebuilt 1885-7 though signs of an older building can be seen in the SW service wing.
Country house designed by George Morgan of Carmarthen for the Rev Robert Colby. Fire damaged in 1985 and reroofed since. Grey Cilgerran cut stone with Bath stone dressings, slate roof, coped gables and rebuilt brick stacks. Jacobean style near-symmetrical five-window, two-and-a half- storey front with one rebuilt ridge stack. Ashlar mullion and transom windows to main floors, mullion windows with curved heads to attic. E front has varied gables, left straight sided with 2-light window, centre steep curved sides and semi-circular shell pediment and 2-light, and right is shaped curved with 3-light and finial. Projecting 2-storey bay to left with 5-light windows and stone hipped roof, then 2-light window each floor, centre projecting porch bay with strapwork parapet, first floor 2-light mullion window, plaque beneath under stepped hood and arched doorway with hood. Ledged doors. Ashlar panelled piers clasping outer angles. Fourth bay has three-light to ground floor and 2-light above, as does fifth bay but this has an ashlar modillion cornice under gable. Rendered S end, the gable with kneelers, three-light attic window and 2-light first floor window. N end has low one-and-a-half storey service wing with rebuilt tall brick ridge stack, hipped end roof and 2-window range of 2-light windows, those above breaking eaves under stone shaped curved gables.
Garden front: Parallel roof to rubble stone garden front with two rebuilt ridge stacks, and shouldered gable each end. Left gable has kneelers and finial, 3-light attic window, 3-light windows to main floors. To right, 2-light each floor, then central shaped curved dormer gable with 2-light, then big 3-light leaded stair-window with two transoms over projecting single-storey range with strapwork parapet and door between two windows. Right end bay is gutted (1993) but has first floor 3-light window and part-collapsed gable with sill of 4-light window. S return, continuous with S end of main front, has shaped curved dormer gable with 2-light window, first floor 3-light and 2-light windows and ground floor large square bay window with strapwork parapet. N end has service range with two straight gables over eaves-breaking 2-light windows and hipped N end roof. Between the two N service ranges is narrow court with access to house service door.
Upper floors burnt in 1985 but large oak staircase survives with ornate rail. Stained glass stair-light. Ground floor two main rooms and entrance hall joined into one.
Included as the best example of a small country house in elaborate period style by George Morgan.
Other nearby listed buildings