This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0267 / 52°1'36"N
Longitude: -4.6281 / 4°37'40"W
OS Eastings: 219796
OS Northings: 239734
OS Grid: SN197397
Mapcode National: GBR D1.GDPC
Mapcode Global: VH2N2.QBP6
Entry Name: Cilrhue
Listing Date: 25 January 1995
Last Amended: 25 January 1995
Source ID: 15388
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated down drive beginning some 400m down road to Boncath from junction with A 478.
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Gentry house recorded from the C16, John Lloyd of Cilrhue d 1657 is commemorated in Cilgerran church, James Lloyd d 1707 left a daughter through whom the estate passed to Thomas Lloyd of Bronwydd d 1737 who may have rebuilt the house. The house was rented in later C18, Sir Benjamin Hammet of Castle Malgwyn died there 1802. In 1831 it was advertised as lately enlarged at great expense.
1700-50 gentry house, enlarged c1830, restored 1993-4. Roughcast with slate roof and new brick end stacks. Paired brackets to eaves. Two-storey, five-window front of hornless 12-pane sashes with slate sills and stucco cambered heads. Centre 7-panel door, three glazed. Applied slate plinth. External chimneybreast on S end wall. Added parallel rear range, roughcast, bracket eaves and brick end stacks to renewed slate roof. Three-window range with large earlier C19 12-pane sash each floor to left, narrow centre window and door, and three storeys to right, 6-pane attic and 12-pane first and ground floor. To right outbuilding with castellated parapet.
Service range, to left of main front, probably earlier C19, rubble stone with slate roof, and very large stone and brick centre ridge stack. Two-storey, four-window range of hornless 12-pane sashes with red-brick heads, the second window each floor blank. N end gable has pedimental slate course across and 6-pane attic window. Rear has two doors and three windows above, two blank.
Fine early to mid C18 broad staircase, dog-leg in four flights to attic, thick moulded rails, pulvinated string and square newels. Turned balusters mostly renewed. The stair extends into rear range suggesting an earlier stair tower extended each side in early Cl9, but no evidence of internal stone walls. Ground floor right room has mid C18 fielded panelling with timber cornice and there is some panelling to hall wall adjoining. Roof has five large oak collar trusses, pegged, one with scarfed post over stair, suggesting stair is later than roof.
A rare survival of a gentry house of the earlier C18 with panelled room, good staircase and roof.
Other nearby listed buildings