This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.6131 / 52°36'47"N
Longitude: -3.3075 / 3°18'26"W
OS Eastings: 311568
OS Northings: 302505
OS Grid: SJ115025
Mapcode National: GBR 9S.8JCC
Mapcode Global: WH79T.5L82
Plus Code: 9C4RJM7V+62
Entry Name: The Grange, also known as The Old Rectory
Listing Date: 4 February 1997
Last Amended: 4 February 1997
Source ID: 18223
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Set back from the road in a riverside position, directly off a small lane. The former coachhouse and stable lies to the E.
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
Built in the last decade of the C18 under the Gilbert Act for Revd D R Thomas, to replace earlier buildings on the site; one, a small 1-bay house with outends burnt down in 1714. The new house contained 2 cellars, kitchen dairy, larder, and pantry, 4 lodging rooms and a library above, and 2 rooms and a granary on the top floor. The building was refurbished internally in 1849 for Revd Daniel Hughes, and a short 2-storey rear extension added. A number of incumbents who lived here have achieved fame in the literary world; Revd William Wynne (1747-60), bard and transcriber of early manuscripts, Revd Walter Davies 'Gwallter Mechain' (1807-1837/8), author and sponsor of eisteddfodau, Revd William 'Penfro' Morgan, (1904-1918), poet, and recently, Ronald Stuart (R.S.) Thomas ( rector 1942-1956), who wrote some important early works during his first ministry here, including 'The Stars of the Field' (1942), 'An Acre of Land' (1952), and 'The Minister', (1953)
Built of brickwork, now painted, the SW end rendered. Slate roof. Three storeys and cellar, 3 bays, with central through stair hall, gable stacks, and 2-storey mid C19 extension at right angles at rear. Small single-storey flat roofed service wing added on NE gable. Central 4-panelled door within a C19 wrought iron scrollwork porch with a slate hipped roof. Sixteen-paned sash windows in reveals having rubbed brick flat arches over. Six-paned windows to attic level, probably C19, at which time the top floor was altered, and brick dentilled eaves added. French doors at rear of SW bay.
Mostly of mid C19. Through hallway has main reception room on right. Narrow rear bay, with arched opening to drawing room. Dog-leg stair with plain balustrade. Painted slate fireplace of c.1880 in former study, now opened into hall. Service rooms in NE wing.
Included as a fine example of a large late C18 parsonage house, and for its important literary connections.
Other nearby listed buildings