History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bron-y-rhiw Cottage

A Grade II Listed Building in Manafon, Powys

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6129 / 52°36'46"N

Longitude: -3.3053 / 3°18'19"W

OS Eastings: 311712

OS Northings: 302476

OS Grid: SJ117024

Mapcode National: GBR 9S.8JVT

Mapcode Global: WH79T.6L88

Entry Name: Bron-y-rhiw Cottage

Listing Date: 4 February 1997

Last Amended: 4 February 1997

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 18228

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Located above the S bank of the Afon Rhiw, at the end of the small lane leading S off the main Berriew to Llanfair Caereinion road, leading past the Old Rectory.

County: Powys

Town: Manafon

Community: Manafon

Community: Manafon

Traditional County: Montgomeryshire

Find accommodation in
Tregynon

History

Said to have been originally built in 1802 by the rector (then Morgan Davies) for the village schoolmaster.

Exterior

Roughcast with a slate roof. Two storeys, 3 bays. Symmetrical about the central door, set within a later lean-to porch. To either side, late C19 3-light timber cross windows with lead paned glazing, with painted wedge lintels. Over the door, a narrower blind window recess painted with glazing bars. Pyramidal roof and central stack. Lean-to at right end.

Interior

Not accessible at the time of inspection (Sept 1996).

Reasons for Listing

Included as a well designed house in a Regency idiom, the symmetry respected by later inserted windows.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II The Grange, also known as The Old Rectory
    Set back from the road in a riverside position, directly off a small lane. The former coachhouse and stable lies to the E.
  • II* Church of St Michael and All Angels
    The church stands centrally in the formerly oval churchyard, at the centre of the village. The churchyard, which was extended c.1926, has a lych-gate (q.v.) and a granite war memorial in the S corner
  • II Lych gate to the churchyard, Church of St Michael and All Angels.
    Located in the S corner of the churchyard and opening directly on to the main road. Immediately to the E is the granite war memorial.
  • II The Smithy
    Located close to the road at the W end of the village, with the smithy immediately to the right, and two mid C20 hand operated Avery-Hardoll petrol pumps with illuminated globes to the left.
  • II Manafon smithy
    Located immediately E of The Smithy cottage, at the E end of Manafon village centre.
  • II Hen llys
    Located on rising ground about 200m N of the road, and accessed by a driveway through the former farm buildings.
  • II Dol-terfyn
    Set close to and parallel with the main Manafon to Berriew Road, immediately E of The Green.
  • II Glyn ganol
    Set gable end to the lane, at the head of the productive land in the small valley of the Afon Glyn.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.