History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lych gate to the churchyard, Church of St Michael and All Angels.

A Grade II Listed Building in Manafon, Powys

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6125 / 52°36'44"N

Longitude: -3.3113 / 3°18'40"W

OS Eastings: 311307

OS Northings: 302442

OS Grid: SJ113024

Mapcode National: GBR 9S.8HDP

Mapcode Global: WH79T.3LGK

Entry Name: Lych gate to the churchyard, Church of St Michael and All Angels.

Listing Date: 4 February 1997

Last Amended: 4 February 1997

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 18231

Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary

Location: Located in the S corner of the churchyard and opening directly on to the main road. Immediately to the E is the granite war memorial.

County: Powys

Town: Manafon

Community: Manafon

Community: Manafon

Traditional County: Montgomeryshire

Find accommodation in
Tregynon

History

The lych gate was designed and built by John Douglas, architect of Chester, at the same time as his restoration of the church, in 1898.

Exterior

Built of heavy oak framing and set on high red sandstone ashlar sill walls on either side of the S entrance to the churchyard. Hipped slate roof, with open triangular spandrels at each side. The timbers supporting the roof are propped by heavy curved members set into the wall plates. The central cross tie is inscribed I MEWN HEDDWCH HEFYD Y GORWEDDAF AC YR HUNA, and another inscription, in English, is placed on the inner face, not clearly visible.

Reasons for Listing

Included as a competent and well scaled design by an important late C19 architect, and of group value with the church..

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II* Church of St Michael and All Angels
    The church stands centrally in the formerly oval churchyard, at the centre of the village. The churchyard, which was extended c.1926, has a lych-gate (q.v.) and a granite war memorial in the S corner
  • II The Smithy
    Located close to the road at the W end of the village, with the smithy immediately to the right, and two mid C20 hand operated Avery-Hardoll petrol pumps with illuminated globes to the left.
  • II Manafon smithy
    Located immediately E of The Smithy cottage, at the E end of Manafon village centre.
  • II The Grange, also known as The Old Rectory
    Set back from the road in a riverside position, directly off a small lane. The former coachhouse and stable lies to the E.
  • II Bron-y-rhiw Cottage
    Located above the S bank of the Afon Rhiw, at the end of the small lane leading S off the main Berriew to Llanfair Caereinion road, leading past the Old Rectory.
  • II Hen llys
    Located on rising ground about 200m N of the road, and accessed by a driveway through the former farm buildings.
  • II Dol-terfyn
    Set close to and parallel with the main Manafon to Berriew Road, immediately E of The Green.
  • II Glyn ganol
    Set gable end to the lane, at the head of the productive land in the small valley of the Afon Glyn.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.