This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.3222 / 53°19'20"N
Longitude: -3.3443 / 3°20'39"W
OS Eastings: 310556
OS Northings: 381432
OS Grid: SJ105814
Mapcode National: GBR 5Z20.SS
Mapcode Global: WH769.LRQG
Entry Name: Glanaber
Listing Date: 28 November 1997
Last Amended: 30 April 2001
Source ID: 19103
Building Class: Domestic
Location: To the SW of the church, on the S side of the main road junction in the centre of the village.
Traditional County: Flintshire
Although the character of the house suggests an C18 date, Glanaber is not shown on the 1839 Tithe map but is shown on the 1871 Ordnance Survey, suggesting that it was built in the third quarter of the C19. By 1899 the N wing was a separate dwelling and incorporated a butcher's shop. Old photographs show a stucco finish.
A 2-storey Georgian-style house of rubble stone with dressed stone quoins and deep window lintels (painted). A central one-window range facing E has flanking gabled wings to N and S, the gables of which are treated as pediments with stone mouldings. The roof is slate, with stone chimneys with cornices to the central range and each cross wing. The central range has dentillated eaves, the upper storey has a single 16-pane sash window and sill band. The doorway is offset to the R and has a painted channelled stone doorcase with bracketed cornice, and a 6-panelled door. To its L is a sash window. The L-hand (S) cross wing is slightly narrower and has 16-pane sash windows in each storey. The R-hand (N) cross wing has a 16-pane sash window in the upper storey, below which a central doorway (with replaced door) is flanked by small-pane windows. The R side wall of the wing, facing the road (N), has a single upper-storey 16-pane sash window (and blocked windows). The lower storey has a large 20 pane window (formerly the shop), and 2 windows with replaced sash windows flanking a blocked doorway. At the rear is a single-storey extension with a horizontal-sliding sash window, and doorway, above which is a terracotta plaque with a dragon in rampant pose.
Entry is into a large central hall with ceiling beams and a large fireplace with stone lintel opposite the entrance. The dining room has a chamfered beam. The lounge has a corner fireplace (repositioned). The R-hand bedroom has a late Georgian painted fireplace with disc decoration on capitals.
Listed as well-preserved C19 house of unusual Georgian character, and for its contribution to the historic character of Llanasa.
Other nearby listed buildings