History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Cefn Braich

A Grade II Listed Building in Llanddeiniolen, Gwynedd

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1696 / 53°10'10"N

Longitude: -4.1257 / 4°7'32"W

OS Eastings: 258002

OS Northings: 365714

OS Grid: SH580657

Mapcode National: GBR 5Q.468F

Mapcode Global: WH54F.LLKJ

Entry Name: Cefn Braich

Listing Date: 4 November 1999

Last Amended: 4 November 1999

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 22640

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Situated at southern end of Rhiwlas at junction between main road running through settlement, track running south-west and another leading north-east to Carreg y Garth; low rubblestone wall with iron

County: Gwynedd

Town: Bangor

Community: Llanddeiniolen

Community: Llanddeiniolen

Locality: Rhiwlas

Traditional County: Caernarfonshire

Find accommodation in
Tregarth

History

Not shown on the 1838 Tithe Map, Cefn Braich was probably built c1850. In 1889 it was a public house, The Coach and Horses.

Exterior

2-storey, 3-bay front. Rendered rubblestone, roughcast to front with cement-rendered window surrounds; grouted graded slate roof. Front has 4-paned sashes with slate cills on each floor flanking central C20 boarded door with glazed top; integral end stacks with slate drips. Full-length asbestos-sheet roofed lean-to on rear.

Interior

Interior not accessible at time of Survey.

Reasons for Listing

Included as a largely unaltered house built c1850 in the local vernacular tradition but displaying a number of polite features. The house is one of the larger buildings in Rhiwlas, pre-dating its later C19 expansion as a slate-quarrying village, by which time it was a public house.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Tros-y-gonfa
    Situated at south-west end of Chapel Street where narrow path turns at right-angles to run up hillside to meet Stryd Uchaf; small cottage garden enclosed by low rubblestone wall with painted picket f
  • II Milestone opposite Bryn goleu
    Located on the verge of the road from Pentir to Caernarfon.
  • II Church of St Cedol
    The church stands at the end of the village, within its churchyard.
  • II Capel y Gladdfa (Cemetery Chapel)
    The chapel is located immediately outside the N boundary of the churchyard of the Church of St Cedol, at the N end of the village.
  • II Pont-y-felin
    Located 350m N of the village centre, at the crossing of the Afon Cegin, and immediately S of the Y-junction of roads to Y Felinheli and Minffordd.
  • II Ty'n Llwyn Farm - Detached barn outside Yard to E
    This barn lies in the field immediately E of the enclosed yard, and S of the house.
  • II Ty'n Llwyn Farm - Cattle Sheds at SE of Yard
    1km NW of the village of Pentir, on the S side of the lane from Pentir towards Y Felinheli. The farm comprises a large rectangular enclosed yard, with the house backing on to its NE corner to face E.
  • II Ty'n Llwyn Farm - Cattle Sheds at S of Yard
    1km NW of village of Pentir, on S side of lane from Pentir towards Y Felinheli. Farm comprises a large rectangular enclosed yard, the house backing on to its NE corner to face E. This range defines th

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.