This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.2354 / 53°14'7"N
Longitude: -3.7856 / 3°47'8"W
OS Eastings: 280921
OS Northings: 372418
OS Grid: SH809724
Mapcode National: GBR 64.04XD
Mapcode Global: WH65B.TYJ1
Entry Name: Barn at Ty'n y Coed
Listing Date: 22 October 2018
Source ID: 87771
Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence
Location: Ty'n y Coed is at the end of a short track on the E side of Upper Bodnant road, approx. 1km E of Bodnant. The barn is on the N side of the farmyard.
Community: Eglwysbach (Eglwys-bach)
Locality: Ty'n y Coed
Traditional County: Denbighshire
4-bay cruck framed barn on the N side of the yard at Ty'n y Coed. It is not clear if the 3 raised cruck trusses are in situ in a building that was constructed as a barn, or whether they originated in a dwelling, possibly first constructed elsewhere and relocated to its present site. The trusses are likely to be of C16 date, and the carved head used as a kneeler stone in the SE corner of the building is also thought to be no later than the C16, though it may also not be in situ. The stone walls of the barn are in situ (and therefore probably later in date to the trusses) and while there is no direct dating evidence for the structure as it stands a C18 date seems likely.
The cruck trusses define a coherent space and appear to be of broadly similar date: the central truss has an arched braced collar, whilst the two outer trusses each have a high plain collar; the southern truss also has a tie-beam (a later addition). Each cruck blade has also been trenched for short ties back to the wall structure (ties surviving on the central truss but missing from the two outer ones) - evidence perhaps that they were originally associated with outer walls of timber-frame, replaced by the present stone walls.
Part of the W elevation and the N end of the barn have obviously been rebuilt or refaced, and the threshing door has been enlarged. The rebuilding has been carried out in stonework to match the existing.
The barn is shown on the 1st ed OS map (1889) with a smaller extension at right angles on the NE corner and on the 2nd ed OS map (1901) with a horse engine against the SW corner. It is shown in its current layout with a parallel range against the NE side on the 1920 edition.
Barn. Rubble stone with slate roof, single storey range aligned N-S with central threshing bay offset to S, lean-to extension with cat-slide roof against N part of E side. Section of wall attached to SE corner.
E elevation, lean-to attached against N, tall threshing door and narrow ventilation slit to S. Built into the S gable is a kneeler with carved face. Door in S end of lean-to. S gable with wide window high up. W elevation with threshing door, widened and with jambs reformed in concrete. Ventilation slit to S (one jamb reformed in brick) and wider than before, similar sized opening to N (in rebuilt part) then narrow slit. N gable with wide opening. NW and NE corner rebuilt.
4-bay cruck framed interior with 3 raised cruck trusses. All with collars and short ties back into the walls (some missing). Central cruck with arched brace collar pegged to blades. S cruck has added (later) tie-beam. Fully torched slates on close rafter and twin purlin roof. Each bay with openings to side walls. Wide gable openings at both ends.
Included for its special architectural interest as a rare and unusual example of a cruck framed building with probable early origins that has been rebuilt as a barn in the C18 or before and has survived largely intact in its rebuilt form.
Other nearby listed buildings