History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

War Memorial and Railings

A Grade II Listed Building in Pencoed, Bridgend

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5239 / 51°31'26"N

Longitude: -3.5003 / 3°30'1"W

OS Eastings: 296008

OS Northings: 181620

OS Grid: SS960816

Mapcode National: GBR HH.HB7T

Mapcode Global: VH5HD.8YWN

Entry Name: War Memorial and Railings

Listing Date: 4 March 1998

Last Amended: 4 March 1998

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 19479

Building Class: Commemorative

Location: Located in the centre of Pencoed at the junction of Coychurch Road, Hendre Road and Penybont Road. The GWR and crossing are to the W.

County: Bridgend

Community: Pencoed (Pen-coed)

Community: Pencoed

Built-Up Area: Pencoed

Traditional County: Glamorgan

Find accommodation in
Pencoed

History

Early C20 memorial to those who died in the First World War (1914 - 18). An additional stone slab names those who died in the Second World War (1939 - 45).

Exterior

Statue in the form of an angel supported on a triangular-plan base and plinth. Constructed of ashlar stone laid in large blocks. The angel is standing on a globe and holds a club and chain aloft. The base has chamfered angles with hollow mouldings, and a large moulded cornice. Each face has an inset red marble tablet with the names of those who died in 1914 - 1918. The plinth also has chamfered angles and a moulded cornice. It is stepped and has a moulded band. Attached to its E face is a stone block with an inset red marble tablet naming those who died from 1939 -1945. The memorial is set on a platform of octagonal paving surrounded by decorative railings. There is an entrance on the E side formed by a pair of double gates, with 6 stone steps leading up to the memorial.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as a fine war memorial of unusual design, prominently sited in the centre of the village

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Salem Chapel
    Located on the E side of Coychurch Road, 0.4km S of the village centre. The chapel is fronted by low stone walls supporting decorative iron railings, and stone piers. The vestry is to the N and the g
  • II Church of St David
    Located on the W side of Penprysg Road to the N of Pencoed County Junior School. The church is situated in a large plot with car park to the S and graveyard to the rear.
  • II Bridge over Afon Ewenni
    Located off the S side of Penybont Road (B4280), W of a large roundabout at Tregroes, and 0.7km NE of Pencoed. The bridge carries a narrow track to the rear of dwellings along Penybont Road.
  • II Milestone, Coychurch Road
    Located on the W side of Coychurch Road (B4280), the main road through Pencoed. The milestone is at the rear of the pavement.
  • II Bridge at Tregroes
    Located on the driveway leading to Tregroes House, just before the drive forms a circle in front of the house. The bridge crosses a small pool or stream which is currently dry.
  • II Tregroes aka Pencoed College
    Located on the NE side of Pencoed village off the A473. Approached by a sweeping driveway which forms a circle in front (S) of the house. There is a stone wall to the E of the driveway with piers.
  • II Dyffryn Farmhouse
    Situated at the end of a lane off the S side of Hendre Road, approximately 1km W of the centre of Pencoed. Below the NE side of the M4. The rear (N) of the house faces a courtyard with a further ran
  • II Cowshed at Pantruthin-fach Farm
    Immediately north of the farmhouse across the yard.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.