History in Structure

Salem Chapel

A Grade II Listed Building in Pencoed, Bridgend

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.5205 / 51°31'13"N

Longitude: -3.5022 / 3°30'8"W

OS Eastings: 295868

OS Northings: 181250

OS Grid: SS958812

Mapcode National: GBR HH.HHSD

Mapcode Global: VH5HL.71VP

Plus Code: 9C3RGFCX+64

Entry Name: Salem Chapel

Listing Date: 4 March 1998

Last Amended: 4 March 1998

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 19481

Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary

Also known as: Salem Chapel

ID on this website: 300019481

Location: Located on the E side of Coychurch Road, 0.4km S of the village centre. The chapel is fronted by low stone walls supporting decorative iron railings, and stone piers. The vestry is to the N and the g

County: Bridgend

Community: Pencoed (Pen-coed)

Community: Pencoed

Built-Up Area: Pencoed

Traditional County: Glamorgan

Tagged with: Chapel

Find accommodation in


Calvinistic Methodist chapel. The original Salem was built in 1775 under the direction of the Rev. David Jones of Llangan, a prominent Welsh Revivalist. In 1830, the chapel was renovated and enlarged to accommodate 500 people. The current chapel was built in 1886 by Edmund Rees at a cost of £1,300 and designed by the Rev. William Jones of Pentre Ystrad. It appears to be in a slightly different position from the earlier building. The chapel retains its original woodwork, while the organ was added about 1930. In 1957, three chapels, Salem, Soar Rhiwceiliog and Mynydd Rhuthyn united under a single pastorate.


A large imposing chapel in simple classical style. Symmetrical 3-bay gable front. Two storeys. Rendered, probably over masonry, on a low stone plinth. Slate roof with modillion eaves and verges, and decorated ridge tiles. Rendered dressings and prominent moulded string course. Round arched openings to front under hood-moulds with keystones and corbelled stops; stone sills. The entrance contains panelled double doors under a fan light. It is flanked by windows to L and R. The upper storey has a central stepped tripartite window with round-headed lights, also flanked by windows to L and R. Small paired windows in the gable apex. All the glazing to the front has been replaced in PVCu. Below the gable window is an inscribed shield, at the top of which is the word SALEM.

Four-window lateral walls to N and S. The upper storey windows are under round arches with hoodmoulds as on the front. The windows below have square heads under slightly arched hoodmoulds with keystones. The glazing has been replaced in PVCu to the S wall, but the original glazing is retained to the N where each window has a central mullion with either 2 or 3 panes to L and R, with margin glazing. Rear gable end with lean-to, for organ, with a flue to the R.


The interior contains a 3-sided gallery supported on fluted cast iron columns with foliate capitals. The wooden gallery front has moulded recessed panels and dentilled cornice, and the gallery has three rows of pews. Wooden pulpit with decorated recessed panels and dentilled cornice, approached by wooden steps to L and R with moulded hand rails and turned balusters and newel posts. There is a large organ in a purpose-built recess behind the pulpit. The organ has a decorated wood-panelled case. Ten rows of simple pews, probably C20. Very ornate plaster ceiling rose in centre with rosettes to E and W. These are enclosed by a boarded and ribbed wooden frame with geometrical designs. Wide moulded coving and wood panelled wainscot. Entrance vestibule with stairs to gallery. Memorials to the Rev. David Jones of Llangan who erected the first chapel on the site in 1775, and to Arthur William Howells.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as an imposing late C19 chapel of character and style, which is strongly associated with the origins and development of Pencoed.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Milestone, Coychurch Road
    Located on the W side of Coychurch Road (B4280), the main road through Pencoed. The milestone is at the rear of the pavement.
  • II War Memorial and Railings
    Located in the centre of Pencoed at the junction of Coychurch Road, Hendre Road and Penybont Road. The GWR and crossing are to the W.
  • II Church of St David
    Located on the W side of Penprysg Road to the N of Pencoed County Junior School. The church is situated in a large plot with car park to the S and graveyard to the rear.
  • II Bridge over Afon Ewenni
    Located off the S side of Penybont Road (B4280), W of a large roundabout at Tregroes, and 0.7km NE of Pencoed. The bridge carries a narrow track to the rear of dwellings along Penybont Road.
  • II Bridge at Tregroes
    Located on the driveway leading to Tregroes House, just before the drive forms a circle in front of the house. The bridge crosses a small pool or stream which is currently dry.
  • II Dyffryn Farmhouse
    Situated at the end of a lane off the S side of Hendre Road, approximately 1km W of the centre of Pencoed. Below the NE side of the M4. The rear (N) of the house faces a courtyard with a further ran
  • II Tregroes aka Pencoed College
    Located on the NE side of Pencoed village off the A473. Approached by a sweeping driveway which forms a circle in front (S) of the house. There is a stone wall to the E of the driveway with piers.
  • II Cowshed at Pantruthin-fach Farm
    Immediately north of the farmhouse across the yard.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.