History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Cefn-y-meysydd isaf

A Grade II Listed Building in Criccieth, Gwynedd

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.939 / 52°56'20"N

Longitude: -4.1938 / 4°11'37"W

OS Eastings: 252668

OS Northings: 340209

OS Grid: SH526402

Mapcode National: GBR 5M.LV0M

Mapcode Global: WH55K.KD57

Plus Code: 9C4QWRQ4+JF

Entry Name: Cefn-y-meysydd isaf

Listing Date: 30 March 1999

Last Amended: 30 March 1999

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 21523

Building Class: Domestic

Location: The house lies at the end of a farm road leading off the minor Pentrefelin to Dolbenmaen road, and N of Pentrefelin village.

County: Gwynedd

Town: Dolbenmaen

Community: Dolbenmaen

Community: Dolbenmaen

Locality: Pentrefelin

Traditional County: Caernarfonshire

Find accommodation in
Tremadoc

History

The house originates as a C17 or earlier farmhouse aligned NW-SE, the lower end rebuilt c1843 as a 2-bay cross wing. The house was the home of Ellis Owen, 1789-1868, poet and antiquary, where the Cymdeithas Lenyddol Cefnymeysydd met regularly.

Exterior

Rubble stonework with slate roofs. The mid C19 SE front is of 2 storeys, 2 window bays with gable stacks and 16-paned sashes. The rear wing is a 1-bay service end partly rebuilt in the C19, and extended to the NE in more recent times. The side door leads to a cross passage. The building is linked by a lean-to shelter to a washhouse-bakehouse building, probably of the late C18 or early C19.

Interior

A large fireplace and stack of the C17 has evidence of a circular newel stair at the rear, now broken through to the rear bay.

Reasons for Listing

Included largely for historic interest as the home of Ellis Owen, 1789-1868, promulgator of the celebrated harpist Dafydd y Garreg Wen, and as a largely unaltered example of a mid C19 upgrading of an earlier farmhouse.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Llys Cynhaearn
    The former vicarage stands on a by-road branching off the main Criccieth to Portmadoc road at the E end of Pentrefelin village,
  • II Pentrefelin Church Hall
    The building stands back from the Tremadoc to Criccieth road and is reached by a short path leading to high ground N of the village.
  • II Carreg-felin
    The farmhouse lies on well-wooded rising ground back from the main Tremadoc to Criccieth road, E of Pentrefelin village.
  • II* Church of St Cynhaearn
    The church stands alone on the former island in Llyn Ystumllyn, approx 900m S of Pentrefelin, and is reached by a track from the village.
  • II Monuments to John Williams and Ellis Owen
    The two monuments stand immediately outside the W door of St Cynhaearn's church, on the right side of the path to the lychgate.
  • II Carreg and Pilkington Tombs
    The two railed tombs are close to the S side of the nave of the Church of St Cynhaearn.
  • II Gravestone of John Ystymllyn
    The headstone stands in the churchyard of the church of St Cynhaearn, on the N side of the path from the lychgate.
  • II Lychgate to the Church of St Cynhaearn
    St Cynhaearn stands isolated approximately 900m S of Pentrefelin village. The lychgate stands in front of the churchyard wall and provides the entrance to the rectangular churchyard from the SW.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.