This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6074 / 51°36'26"N
Longitude: -3.0997 / 3°5'58"W
OS Eastings: 323940
OS Northings: 190415
OS Grid: ST239904
Mapcode National: GBR J1.9WJG
Mapcode Global: VH7B4.7V5M
Entry Name: Jubilee Statue in Tredegar Grounds
Listing Date: 22 October 1999
Last Amended: 22 October 1999
Source ID: 22517
Building Class: Commemorative
Location: In the centre of Tredegar Grounds, in the centre of Risca.
Community: Risca West (Gorllewin Rhisga)
Built-Up Area: Risca
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
Park was donated to the people of Risca by Lord Tredegar in 1897 to commemorate Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee. In return the statue was erected by public subscription 'in recognition of Lord Tredegar's generosity to the neighbourhood.' The figure is comparable with one on a fountain at Merthyr which was designed by W Macfarlane and Co of Glasgow, a donation of c 1890; the source may be a catalogue of architectural ironmongery. Moriah Chapel was built 1893 adjacent on land originally designated for the Park and Lord Tredegar took some persuading to allow the incursion.
The monument comprises a small bronze sculpture probably of Hercules, a bearded figure dressed in a loincloth, standing on a circular plinth of narrow coursed rock- faced stone on a square stepped base.
Included for historic interest and group value with the Entrance and especially the two Baptist Churches at each end of Tredegar Grounds.
Other nearby listed buildings