This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4875 / 51°29'15"N
Longitude: -3.2761 / 3°16'33"W
OS Eastings: 311493
OS Northings: 177281
OS Grid: ST114772
Mapcode National: GBR HT.KDNG
Mapcode Global: VH6F5.5WD1
Entry Name: Llainfadyn
Listing Date: 6 October 1977
Last Amended: 28 November 2003
Source ID: 13853
Building Class: Education
Location: One of the re-erected buildings in the open-air collection of the Museum of Welsh Life.
Community: St. Fagans (Sain Ffagan)
Community: St. Fagans
Locality: Museum of Welsh Life, St Fagans
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Mid/late C18 croglofft cottage brought from Rhostryfan, Caernarvonshire. It was probably built in 1762 (dated). It was the home of quarry-men, who were above-average waged hence the surprising quality of the furnishings. It was re-erected at the Museum of Welsh Life in 1962.
The Museum Council had recommended in October 1943 that 'an open-air museum was an essential auxiliary to the National Museum of Wales.' ; 'a Wales in miniature where in the confined area of one hundred acres the visitor will be able to wander through time and space.' This vision was made reality by Lord Plymouth's gift of St. Fagans Castle and Park to the National Museum of Wales in 1946. The gardens were opened to the public in 1947 and the house in 1948 but it was recognised that 'some time must elapse before any ancient houses can be re-erected in the Park'. The purpose of the Museum was that 'from different parts of Wales, farm-houses and buildings which would otherwise fall into ruin or be destroyed will be secured for re-erection, the chosen houses will of course be architecturally, historically and socially significant of Welsh culture'. The first building thus re-erected was the Stryd Lydan barn in 1951 and the ones which are included in the list are those re-erected between that date and 1972 and are thus all more than thirty years on their present site.
Whitewashed walls of stone boulders built directly on the earth with a thicker base for a foundation. Slate gabled roof with stone stack at north-east end. Front or north-west elevation has square-headed doorway with small sash window with glazing bars to north-east of it. There is a second small window in the rear wall. The cottage is set in a garden with low walls.
The interior has an open fireplace with alcove and bressumer dated 1762 in the north-east gable end wall. Croglofft at south-west end. Earth floor with slate platform for furniture; slate slab near doorway for excluding draughts. Some of the furniture displayed came originally from the cottage; especially noteworthy is the 'cwpwrdd bara caws' or bread-and-cheese cupboard which is late C18.
Included as one of the first complete buildings re-erected at the Museum of Welsh Life, then the Welsh Folk Museum. This building is of considerable historic interest as one of the early exhibits, both for itself and for the way it has been displayed.
Other nearby listed buildings