This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4875 / 51°29'15"N
Longitude: -3.2766 / 3°16'35"W
OS Eastings: 311460
OS Northings: 177281
OS Grid: ST114772
Mapcode National: GBR HT.KDK5
Mapcode Global: VH6F5.5W51
Plus Code: 9C3RFPQF+29
Entry Name: Penparcau Tollhouse
Listing Date: 6 October 1977
Last Amended: 28 November 2003
Source ID: 13854
Building Class: Transport
Location: One of the re-erected buildings in the open-air collection of the Museum of Welsh Life.
Community: St. Fagans (Sain Ffagan)
Community: St. Fagans
Locality: Museum of Welsh Life, St Fagans
Traditional County: Glamorgan
This toll-house was built in 1771-2 as the Aberystwyth South Gate on the Cardigan Road at 'Penparcau'. The first toll was charged on 23rd March 1772. The roof was raised at some later date. The toll-house functioned until 1864 when most of the Turnpike Trusts were abolished. It was re-erected at the Museum in 1968.
The Museum Council had recommended in October 1943 that 'an open-air museum was an essential auxiliary to the National Museum of Wales.' ; 'a Wales in miniature where in the confined area of one hundred acres the visitor will be able to wander through time and space.' This vision was made reality by Lord Plymouth's gift of St. Fagans Castle and Park to the National Museum of Wales in 1946. The gardens were opened to the public in 1947 and the house in 1948 but it was recognised that 'some time must elapse before any ancient houses can be re-erected in the Park'. The purpose of the Museum was that 'from different parts of Wales, farm-houses and buildings which would otherwise fall into ruin or be destroyed will be secured for re-erection, the chosen houses will of course be architecturally, historically and socially significant of Welsh culture'. The first building thus re-erected was the Stryd Lydan barn in 1951 and the ones which are included in the list are those re-erected between that date and 1972 and are thus all more than thirty years on their present site.
Whitewashed stone rubble walls with a slate hipped roof. Single storey single cell building, square on plan with a polygonal south-east end. Windows with pointed heads and leaded glazing, two in each side wall flanking the toll-boards and one to each side of doorway at south-east end; square-headed doorway in pointed arch, ledged half-door. Paired bracket eaves cornice, with a stone chimney stack at the north-west end of the roof.
Single space plastered interior with an open, light principal rafter roof.
Included as one of the first complete buildings re-erected at the Museum of Welsh Life, then the Welsh Folk Museum. This building is of considerable historic interest as one of the early exhibits, both for itself and for the way it has been displayed.
Other nearby listed buildings