This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4881 / 51°29'17"N
Longitude: -3.2774 / 3°16'38"W
OS Eastings: 311401
OS Northings: 177346
OS Grid: ST114773
Mapcode National: GBR HT.KDBD
Mapcode Global: VH6F5.4VPL
Plus Code: 9C3RFPQF+62
Entry Name: Llawr-y-glyn Smithy
Listing Date: 6 October 1977
Last Amended: 28 November 2003
Source ID: 13858
Building Class: Industrial
Location: One of the re-erected buildings in the open-air collection of the Museum of Welsh Life.
Community: St. Fagans (Sain Ffagan)
Community: St. Fagans
Locality: Museum of Welsh Life, St Fagans
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Brought from Llawr-y-glyn, Montgomeryshire. Probably late C18 with later alterations and with renovations during reconstruction. It ceased working in 1963 and was re-erected at the Museum in 1972.
The Museum Council had recommended in October 1943 that 'an open-air museum was an essential auxiliary to the National Museum of Wales.' ; 'a Wales in miniature where in the confined area of one hundred acres the visitor will be able to wander through time and space.' This vision was made reality by Lord Plymouth's gift of St. Fagans Castle and Park to the National Museum of Wales in 1946. The gardens were opened to the public in 1947 and the house in 1948 but it was recognised that 'some time must elapse before any ancient houses can be re-erected in the Park'. The purpose of the Museum was that 'from different parts of Wales, farm-houses and buildings which would otherwise fall into ruin or be destroyed will be secured for re-erection, the chosen houses will of course be architecturally, historically and socially significant of Welsh culture'. The first building thus re-erected was the Stryd Lydan barn in 1951 and the ones which are included in the list are those re-erected between that date and 1972 and are thus all more than thirty years on their present site.
Random rubble stone walls with weatherboarding; Welsh slate roofs. Long single storey wing to south; shuttered window opening in south gable end; western elevation with pair of ledged half-doors to right hand; to left hand, roof forms pentice over shallow projection with shuttered window. To east or rear, a low cross wing with chimney on gable end and, inside, with fire hearth, bellows and anvil. At northern end of main wing, a shorter wing with higher eaves and ridge and stone stack at southern end; western elevation with upper floor weatherboarded.
Queen strut truss to roof. Two pairs of bellows and other accessories of smithy, hearth, anvil etc.
Included as one of the first complete buildings re-erected at the Museum of Welsh Life, then the Welsh Folk Museum. This building is of considerable historic interest as one of the early exhibits, both for itself and for the way it has been displayed.
Other nearby listed buildings